Moto z2 force vs Pixel Xl or Suggestions?

Tony36011

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
I can finally afford the previous gen flagships, but I am at crossroads between the z2 force and the Pixel. Please help me choose or suggest an alternative that is around the $300 pricetag. If possible, please do not include any iPhones, I'm not a big fan.
Thank you for your help.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi @Tony36011

Great choices here. A huge fan of both those devices and the companies who manufacturer them! What device are you currently using now? This is a tough comparison for me simply coming from the fact the Z2 Force out specs the Pixel (non XL) in several key areas (Resolutio/PPI, Processor, Graphics Processor). That being said, its really hard for me not to recommend a Pixel device. It just does everything right day in and day out without issues. It is being supported with the newest updates till October 2018 and security updates after that. Moto has never been super great with providing timely updates to their software. Why don't you tell us a little more about your usage. Is camera most important? Do the moto mods interest you? Are updates important? Do you just want to consume media? I can probably (and others) steer you a little better knowing that information.

For now, here's a great comparison tool between the 2.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/c...Force-Edition,Google-Pixel/phones/10521,10264

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Well that all depends. If updates and upgrades are important for you then definitely go with the Pixel XL if you're willing to go with the first generation Pixel. Motorola are aweful with updates.

You also have to consider the fact that, even if the Z2 Force is a flagship, the plastic screen is ridiculously scratch prone so you need a screen protector. Jerryrigeverything was able to create light scratches with his nails.

The first generation Pixel XL will get Android P as well so you'll pretty much get the same support lifespan than the Z2 Force (which is usually two Android versions so Oreo and P).

Now if regular updates don't matter to you, I'd even go so far as to advise you to steer away from Z2 Force and get the Z2 Play (the device I have). It's an amazing phone, solid and fast and you'll save money.

This video can help you with that last point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNgPqAwWqKA

Tony36011

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi @Tony36011

Great choices here. A huge fan of both those devices and the companies who manufacturer them! What device are you currently using now? This is a tough comparison for me simply coming from the fact the Z2 Force out specs the Pixel (non XL) in several key areas (Resolutio/PPI, Processor, Graphics Processor). That being said, its really hard for me not to recommend a Pixel device. It just does everything right day in and day out without issues. It is being supported with the newest updates till October 2018 and security updates after that. Moto has never been super great with providing timely updates to their software. Why don't you tell us a little more about your usage. Is camera most important? Do the moto mods interest you? Are updates important? Do you just want to consume media? I can probably (and others) steer you a little better knowing that information.

For now, here's a great comparison tool between the 2.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/c...Force-Edition,Google-Pixel/phones/10521,10264

I currently use the redmi note 4 from Xiaomi, and my biggest complaint is the camera. I heard that the camera on the pixel XL is better than the z2 force, but I'm tempted by the force's dual cam and portrait mode. The other problem I have is MIUI 9 from Xiaomi sometimes stutters even with 4gb of RAM. I'm not the biggest fan of stock Android, but I'd go with it 9 times out 10 if it means that the performance will be smooth. I hear that both Moto and Pixel use very lightly modified versions of Android, which sounds great. I find the mods of the Z line very interesting, one of the primary reasons I'm still not sure which phone to choose. I like long lasting batteries but since there's a mod for additional power, I wouldn't mind the z2 force's mediocre battery. I don't mind late updates as long as the current software is not running like a mess. I occasionally game, and watch Netflix on my phone. So to summarize, here are the most important points for me:
-Price (around 250-350)
-Stable software
-Camera
-Design (I find both phones lacking in this department).
-Battery
The primary reason I'd go with the z2 force is Mods, the primary reason I'd go with Pixel XL is software.
Thank you for helping me find the sweet spot.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I currently use the redmi note 4 from Xiaomi, and my biggest complaint is the camera. I heard that the camera on the pixel XL is better than the z2 force, but I'm tempted by the force's dual cam and portrait mode. The other problem I have is MIUI 9 from Xiaomi sometimes stutters even with 4gb of RAM. I'm not the biggest fan of stock Android, but I'd go with it 9 times out 10 if it means that the performance will be smooth. I hear that both Moto and Pixel use very lightly modified versions of Android, which sounds great. I find the mods of the Z line very interesting, one of the primary reasons I'm still not sure which phone to choose. I like long lasting batteries but since there's a mod for additional power, I wouldn't mind the z2 force's mediocre battery. I don't mind late updates as long as the current software is not running like a mess. I occasionally game, and watch Netflix on my phone. So to summarize, here are the most important points for me:
-Price (around 250-350)
-Stable software
-Camera
-Design (I find both phones lacking in this department).
-Battery
The primary reason I'd go with the z2 force is Mods, the primary reason I'd go with Pixel XL is software.
Thank you for helping me find the sweet spot.

Oh well then you have two choices. For that budget I would again choose the Z2 Play over the force. With that one you could get the Hasselblad True Zoom mod. That would make an amazing camera.

Otherwise the Google Pixel XL already has an amazing camera (better than any Motorola for sure).

In both cases you know that the device will be performant.

Tony36011

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
Oh well then you have two choices. For that budget I would again choose the Z2 Play over the force. With that one you could get the Hasselblad True Zoom mod. That would make an amazing camera.

Otherwise the Google Pixel XL already has an amazing camera (better than any Motorola for sure).

In both cases you know that the device will be performant.

I think I might do that. How's that mod for you? I notice a lot of reviewers are bashing it, but I think it is a cool addition.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I think I might do that. How's that mod for you? I notice a lot of reviewers are bashing it, but I think it is a cool addition.

I've never tried it myself but Mr. Mobile did a video about it last year. One of his main gripes was that it was slow and that you had to carry it around. So in that respect, if that's the only mod you'd buy, the Pixel would be the better choice. It does amazing pictures with no additionnal hardware and is really really quick. I used to have the first generation and it was absolutely great. One of my friend is a semi-pro photographer and even he loves it.

To see Mr Mobile talk about the Hasselblad, jump to 2:40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI9dmj6eiVQ

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams