Hello,

I goggled for an answer but could not find any.

This is the second time I format my ExtSdcard where I have most apps moved to.
    I created a backup by copying the entire content of the extSdcard to the computer then back to the extSdcard after, but still none of those apps work.

WhatWhat am I doing wrong?
    Thanks.
    David
    03-04-2018 05:05 PM
    It's just storing some of the app data, not the whole app. The app needs to be installed from the play store to be safe to use, then the app data can be, on some apps, stored on the SD card.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-04-2018 05:40 PM
    Hello,

I goggled for an answer but could not find any.

This is the second time I format my ExtSdcard where I have most apps moved to.
    I created a backup by copying the entire content of the extSdcard to the computer then back to the extSdcard after, but still none of those apps work.

WhatWhat am I doing wrong?
    Thanks.
    David

12 hours ago
    Itsa_Me_Mario
    It's just storing some of the app data, not the whole app. The app needs to be installed from the play store to be safe to use, then the app data can be, on some apps, stored on the SD card
    I could not reply to my own question, so I ask a new one to reply.

Then if I did not format the tablet, just the extSDcard, and placed back those apps data, I thought they would work. It is like noting happened?

Is there a way too easily reinstall al the apps I already had?
    On the store under "all", all are not there.
    03-05-2018 06:37 AM
    I merged your two threads.

I believe that when you use the Move to SD feature, the system creates a symbolic link so that the app can properly access the data that's moved to the card. Formatting the card probably wipes out that link (essentially "breaking" the app), and copying the backed up data back to the card won't restore it.
    03-06-2018 02:07 AM
    Thank you for merging the threads, B. Diddy.

The links would stay on the internal memory, I think, and as I did not format the extsdcard from the tablet but from the computer, those links would not be erased I would think. Still it does not make sense to me.
    Thank you.
    03-06-2018 08:16 AM
    Let me see if one of our other Ambassadors @Rukbat can weigh in. He has some knowledge about this issue.
    03-06-2018 10:28 AM
    "Moving the app" just moves small parts of it. They're not put in the directory, so looking at the card itself (when it's not in the phone) in a PC won't show the apps, just the space used by the pieces is marked as used (so the system won't write over those pieces).

When you copy the card to the PC, since the app pieces aren't in the card's directory, they're not copied. Then you formatted the card (which really doesn't format anything, but it does mark everything as unused), and copied files back to it (probably overwriting the pieces of apps). Yes, the links are in the phone, but the pieces of app they point to are on the card, so you can't move them on the card, and if you could "copy them to the PC", then copy them back to the card, they souldn't be in the same place, so the links would be pointing to other files or garbage.

The only way to do what you wanted to do is to move the apps back to internal storage, format the card, then "move the apps to the card" again. Which none of us recommend - for a number of reasons, this whole problem being just one small one. If the phone's internal storage is too small for all the apps you need installed at all times, use it temporarily until you can get a phone with more internal storage. Don't depend on it as a way of increasing the phone's storage.

(And if the piece moved id the same size as, or smaller than, a symbolic link takes, you're using more storage for that link by moving that piece. If the whole app is written that way - lots of very small pieces - moving the app leaves you with less free space than leaving it in internal storage. Adoptable storage [using the card as internal storage] solves some of the problems, but not all of them.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-06-2018 11:28 AM
    So, if I understood correctly, when I copy the apps to the computer some files are not copied, hence the need to reinstall all?

Thank you all for your input.
    PS
    Playstore should have an option to reinstall all instead of having to do it one by one.
    03-08-2018 10:32 AM