The Truth about Android

TEK.GADG

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, we are from TEK.GADG. A tech website.

We thought we could be of help to you people in Android Central, so here it is. The Truth about Android.

*Note that this is an editorial. Meaning, it is an expression of one of our editors' opinion. Not the whole team. Though the founders did approve this article for posting.

TEK.GADG - Editorial: The truth about Android

photo-1.JPG

Last edited:

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the article about custom manufacturer UI's, and it is true that fragmentation and slow updates are very real problems. But to say that Google doesn't care about making Android better? I don't buy it. The Nexus phones have the pure Google experience and timely updates. If the manufactures would just ditch the custom UI's and follow Google's lead by giving users pure vanilla Android and timely updates to the latest and most secure Android version these problems would be greatly diminished.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Agreed. The author makes a valid point about fragmentation but it's obvious that they know next to nothing about Android.

I don't buy into the "fragmentation" bandwagon much either. The way I see it, there are only 2 current Android smartphones -- Nexus One, Nexus S.

The others are built with forks of Android. Once you change a huge portion of the core system components, it's not Android any longer. It's Sense. Or Blur. Or etc. Debian and Gentoo are both Linux, but you can't run packages for one on the other without editing and rebuilding the code.

None are better fundamentally than the others, but they are different and should be treated as such.

Reactions: coolbreeze

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You come across as a jilted girlfriend. The article insults the very "customer base" which you are trying to court! The article is full of misinformation, which is surprising given the platform. In what way does this help the Android Central member? I believe this is a feeble attempt at steering more traffic to your site. I would have given you more credibility had the tone of your article not been so "infantile". Since you neglected to do your research, I will assist you by providing you the below link which should "clear" things up for you.

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

Last edited:

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't buy into the "fragmentation" bandwagon much either. The way I see it, there are only 2 current Android smartphones -- Nexus One, Nexus S.

The others are built with forks of Android. Once you change a huge portion of the core system components, it's not Android any longer. It's Sense. Or Blur. Or etc. Debian and Gentoo are both Linux, but you can't run packages for one on the other without editing and rebuilding the code.

None are better fundamentally than the others, but they are different and should be treated as such.

One of the drawbacks of Android's open source nature is that the phone manufactures are free to take Android and bastardize it however they want, which includes changing large parts of the core system. It's unfortunate, but it's true. And those changes cause fragmentation, slow updates to a glacial crawl, and are ugly and unappealing to boot. I know the manufactures use the custom UI's to deliver a unique experience and differentiate they're products from they're competitor's products, but in the end they cause far more problems then they solve. And for the most part the custom UI's aren't exactly huge hits with the customers. I know Sense has it's fans (I personally think it's a bloated, ugly, cartoonish looking battery hog) but would anyone really shed a tear if TouchWiz and MotoBlur were done away with? I've said it before and I'll say it again, kill the custom UI's once and for all and give us pure vanilla Android.

Sorry for the rant. An nerd just has to vent sometimes, ya know?

MisterObvious#AC

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I think this was written as a blog post and less of a factual thing. I mean some points were true but honestly I have all the apps I need and doing a little searching you can find an app you need. I'm sure there are just as many pointless apps on iOS as well. It's all in how you use it.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
We thought we could be of help to you people in Android Central
How? By making us feel smarter than the author of this article? It's not even worth picking out items to criticize since there are so many problems with the article.

But to say that Google doesn't care about making Android better?
That's either a ridiculous assertion or extreme hyperbole. Does the author really think that nothing has improved at all since the original release of Android?

The author apparently also can't separate subjective from objective. There are some potentially good points but the poor writing kills any potential. I'm no Android apologist but criticism should be carefully written or else the end result is just a pointless rant.

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure which is sadder, how wrong this article is, or the fact that they came to another site to poach readers (and act like they're "helping" us in the process.

How? By making us feel smarter than the author of this article? It's not even worth picking out items to criticize since there are so many problems with the article.

Ha :)

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Y'all completely missed the point of this article. In it you will see that the author criticized Google for only wanting you to "clicking on AdSense/AdMob" ads. Well, that is exactly what this author wants -- you to click to his site so he can generate ad revenue as well.

I think the best advice here is just don't feed the trolls.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure which is sadder, how wrong this article is, or the fact that they came to another site to poach readers (and act like they're "helping" us in the process.

Ha :)

agree with most of you guys. AC is a community, Yeah, sometimes we might not agree with each other. We all have different opinions on how to solve a problem, or give advice. Sometimes, we take offence, God knows I do on occasion (please, no comments), Remember, I'm old school, and was dumping memory and debugging long before most of you were born. I was there when the internet was born, and had mobiles when mobile was not known as a cell phone So I take old guy rights. But I know a skunk when I smell one. Or should I say leech..... Looked at their site, to give the benefit of a doubt,,,,, damn....... they have some work to do

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
this guy is full of hot air....I think he has a BB and is mad about battery pulls so he's got to hate on Android,I dont take him serious

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I got the feeling this editorial was written by 17 year old who needs extra credit in junior English to avoid summer school.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Did he use "wannabe" in his "editorial"? Goodness, he did not even use standard, formal English. How am I supposed to take anything he said seriously (although there was nothing that could be taken seriously) after such a gaffe?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678