Hi folks,

I have an older minivan with one of those overhead DVD entertainment systems. The system has composite video/audio inputs. I am trying to think of the simplest way to stream video to it from my android phone (Galaxy s8) without living in dongle hell.

The only way I can think of is to use a USB c to HDMI adapter plugged into a HDMI to RCA adapter, which plugs into my system.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a creative solution. Has anyone been successful with this type of setup and a chrome cast/roku/fire ?

Thanks in advance.
    03-22-2018 02:50 PM
    That set up, while possible, requires a very important thing: That your device supports HDMI output through the USB-C port. Not all devices do. (Plus that set up kinda defeats the purpose of no-dongle)

Chromecast, unfortunately, doesn't support direct connection so you'd need a router in your car to hook them up (or use your phone as a router and cast that way). I believe Rokus are the same. Problem with a Chromecast and most Rokus, is that they are all HDMI. Only the most basic Roku supports composite output (not RCA, IIRC), so you still need the HDMI converter most likely). You can search online for casting dongles that do support WiFi Direct connections (so you don't need a router), but I haven't seen any that support RCA, to be honest.
    03-22-2018 04:39 PM