Android Gmail leaves 1 message in Bin

Percy Veer

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
On my Hudl2 tablet when I delete messages in Gmail and then from the Bin folder I select Empty Bin Now there is always one message left in the Bin. A progress bar saying NaN momentarily flashes on screen. This is something new perhaps following an update. The Gmail version is 8.3.12.190852125 release.

I will be grateful for any advice to clear this new problem

Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What Bin folder are you referring to? Are you talking about the Trash folder? Or are you using a non-Gmail email account in your Gmail app?

Percy Veer

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. On my tablet the Trash folder is called Bin .(On my phone its called Trash). I am using a Gmail account in the Gmail app and have no non Gmail accounts. I've noticed that when I select Empty Bin Now, although one message is still visible, the message count in the left hand folder pane changes to show no messages. I've also discovered that the Spam folder also leaves one message after I select Empty Spam Now

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you Empty Bin and Empty Spam on the tablet, do the Trash and Spam folders become empty when you look on Gmail on your computer browser?

Try going to Settings>Apps, select Gmail, then Storage, and Clear Cache/Clear Data.

Percy Veer

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I logged in to Gmail via Chrome using my tablet and both the Spam and Bin folders were empty. First I checked in the app and the Spam entry had cleared, so I wonder if its a time related issue, but the entry in the Bin folder was still there.

I then cleared the Data and Cache in the app and after the app re-established itself with my gmail account the Spam and Bin folders were empty. But as a test I sent myself an email and then deleted it and after doing Empty Bin Now it was still there. So I checked again the Gmail via Chrome and the Bin folder there was empty. So it seems something peculiar to the app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty strange. What Android version is the tablet running? If it's Marshmallow, then go to the Play Store and search for Android System Webview, and make sure it's up to date.

Percy Veer

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. The Android version is 5.1, I searched for Android System Webview on Play Store but could not see any info about versions so I'm not sure what I should be looking for as there was only a tab saying uninstall

Percy Veer

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Heres a quick update. When I checked in the app this morning the test email which was stuck in the Bin folder had gone. So I sent myself another test email, deleted it and then in the Bin folder did Empty Bin Now and the message remaine there. It seems there is some delay before the message is removed from the app. The message is timed 07:57 so I will check throughout the day to see if it is removed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's some progress, at least.:) When the Trash starts building up, see if emptying the trash leaves one message behind again, and then see if that message clears out after another couple hours.

Percy Veer

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Its a mystery how it is operating now. When I delete multiple messages they go in to the Trash (Bin) folder. I then do Empty Bin Now and all but the latest message is deleted from that folder. Although as previously checked the folder is actually empty when checked on the Gmail via Chrome means of access. Also on the tablet, in the left hand folder pane, the message count for the Bin folder disappears suggesting all messages have been deleted from that folder. But that last message remains visible in the Bin folder view and remains there for some time before it disappears. I'm not sure why it disappears later, maybe some other activity on the app triggers it, or maybe its a "housekeeping" type activity. I suppose I can live with this new operation of the app but its frustrating to not know what has caused it, that is, is it a malfunction on my tablet or is it a change introduced by a recent app update from the developers?. A mystery

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open your Gmail app, swipe in left for the menu, and tap Help & Feedback so you can send feedback to Google about this.

Percy Veer

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I've used the feedback option to send details of the issue to Google. I didn't know this option existed, have you used it before? Should I expect a response from them?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've sent feedback before, but don't expect a direct response. I think just like any issue, the more feedback Google gets about the issue, the more likely it is that they'll address it, so it's still worth doing.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A progress bar saying NaN momentarily flashes on screen.
I hope that you mentioned that in your message. If not, I suggest you send another one, mentioning it. NaN is an error message saying that something is "Not a Number", meaning that something tried to do addition on the topic or some stupid programming mistake like that. (It's an error message in quite a few programming languages, rather than just having the program crash.) It will help them reproduce the problem, which is the first step to fixing it.

Percy Veer

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi Rukbat, thanks for your message explaining about the NaN progress bar. Yes I definitely mentioned that in my feedback to Google. I think I've given them all the detail as mentioned in this thread and I was hoping they might acknowledge my submission but it appears that is unlikely. Thanks again

Percy Veer

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
The problem is now solved. The latest Gmail update on my tablet has restored operation to normal, that is, all deleleted messages are cleared from the Bin when I select Empty Bin Now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member