Moving from BBry to Android, questions

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking for some broad recommendations about a new android phone please.
I currently have a bb storm (so I know whatever I get will be faster and prettier)
I currently am a verizon customer and would like to stay with them
here's what I want to know;

1 - what phones are easiest (safest) to root? (less likely to brick, easily swapped back for service)
2 - what manufacturers are least hostile to rooting their phones? (I don't want to be in a race against them trying to lock me out)
3 - what phones out now or coming out soon will take android 3.x when it drops? (I don't want to be stuck on an older version of code a month after a new purchase please.)
4 - what phones when rooted can be tethered or used as hotspots without additional cost on verizon? (I'll have an unlimited plan, why pay extra for for that feature??)

I just want to be able to clear off the bloatware and keep the current android version (within reason).

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking for some broad recommendations about a new android phone please.
I currently have a bb storm (so I know whatever I get will be faster and prettier)
I currently am a verizon customer and would like to stay with them
here's what I want to know;

1 - what phones are easiest (safest) to root? (less likely to brick, easily swapped back for service)
2 - what manufacturers are least hostile to rooting their phones? (I don't want to be in a race against them trying to lock me out)
3 - what phones out now or coming out soon will take android 3.x when it drops? (I don't want to be stuck on an older version of code a month after a new purchase please.)
4 - what phones when rooted can be tethered or used as hotspots without additional cost on verizon? (I'll have an unlimited plan, why pay extra for for that feature??)

I just want to be able to clear off the bloatware and keep the current android version (within reason).

Thanks!

1. Samsung & HTC phones are both good for rooting. Bricking is usually the fault of the user, not to point any fingers but... slowing down, reading and understanding as much as possible before attempting things and whenever in doubt ask questions. We have many Admin/Mods/Advisers and helpful users that will answer your questions to save you trouble down the road.

2. Any carrier/device maker will frown against rooting your device. They may offer it, unlock the bootloaders, etc but when it comes down to warranty the item due to rooting and something you did causing a brick.. Well you take your chances... See answer #1

3. To my knowledge Honeycomb isn't really supposed to appear on any cellular phone. Its really aimed at Tablets. Next in line would be Ice Cream Sandwich (4th quarter of 2011) which is supposed to be a one OS for both, Tablet/Phones. Right now the big push even though its outdated by some users beliefs is Gingerbread (v2.3.3/2.3.4) on phones.

4. If you root your device, just about any of them offer a application you can get through the Market for free called Wireless Tethering. Versions will vary from model to model and updates are put out frequently. Some carriers were or did put the block on Wireless Tethering on rooted devices but I'm sure work arounds have already been discovered or will.

Hope these answers help!

Reactions: rhcreed

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

1. All phones can brick. But remember, a true brick means a black screen. Unable to do nothing. These are rare. For soft-bricks, you can eventually restore them. Eventually. A lot of people usually send them back for repair rather than fix the issue and learn something.

If you read, read and do a little more reading, you will minimize your chances of something happening. Most soft and semi hard bricks come from people who think they are smarter than the instructions written. They think, "oh, I have flashed a couple ROMs so I don't need to follow instructions. Or they think they know it all from heart. Big mistake.

As for me, HTC is probably the most forgiving.But with the apps available, rooting is a painless thing... if you follow instructions.

2. Manufacturers don't care. They sell the phones to the providers. Providers on the other hand, well, the people working in repairs, may not be too smart. They usually hook i up to a "box", run some reflashing, and send it back when finished.

3. Android 3.x??? 4.x???? Get serious. You have already made your intentions clear. You're going to root and install a custom ROM. And belive you me, the ROM guys will always make sure any future code gets incorporated into a custom ROM, well before it's released/pushed to a phone.

4. I don't deal with providers or plans, I'm a "free ranger".

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
lost me there...

3. Android 3.x??? 4.x???? Get serious. You have already made your intentions clear. You're going to root and install a custom ROM. And belive you me, the ROM guys will always make sure any future code gets incorporated into a custom ROM, well before it's released/pushed to a phone.

Lost me there, if I root, do I have to run someones rom code?

Does rooting require a rom, or can I root the version that comes out of the store?

I am not looking to be Jr. hacker here, I just want to kill the bloat and have a reliable phone.

Thx all!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Lost me there, if I root, do I have to run someones rom code?

Does rooting require a rom, or can I root the version that comes out of the store?

I am not looking to be Jr. hacker here, I just want to kill the bloat and have a reliable phone.

Thx all!
You should be able to root the stock OS that came with the phone. It maybe a bit more involved on some devices over others but the option should be available.

I know for example on my Epic 4g, we can run a simple ADB/MS DOS based script and have it done in literally minutes.. Very painless.. Some other devices require you to download the stock OS and do certain steps/techniques to achieve root. Just all depends on the device.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
No. Rooting only allows you to run certain apps. And also allows you to remove some "bloatware" that providers pre-install. And some of the apps you can download, are really good.

Also, in some cases, it allows you to move download apps to your SD, instead of using phone memory.

But, it's also the first step to flashing a custom ROM.

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
It's all going to come down to personal preference based on looks and experiences with manufacturers. I have had great luck with HTC phones but bad ones with Samsung and Motorolla. Rooting gives you admin access to the phone. You can leave it stock or put a custom ROM on it. <y Incredible is rooted and I run the stock ROM. It was extremely easy and took about 15 minutes. I left the bloatware on but disabled it. As was said earlier 3 (Honeycomb) isn't made for phones. It is for tablets. I also have wireless tether and the hotspot. I use the tether more.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
what phones when rooted can be tethered or used as hotspots without additional cost on verizon? (I'll have an unlimited plan, why pay extra for for that feature??)
Read Verizon's TOS that you agreed to for service. That's why. That said, if you understand the risks there's Wireless Tether but you have to be rooted.

It's all going to come down to personal preference based on looks and experiences with manufacturers.
Selecting a device is a highly subjective process but that statement doesn't really apply to any of the OP's 4 questions.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems like HTC is the way to go, does anyone agree or disagree strongly?

Strongly agree. Especially now that HTC has agreed this week to unlock the bootloaders! :D:D:D

Not sure what will happen with current phones, but in the immediate future, their phones will be bootloader unlocked.

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Another question, assume I get a thunderbolt or an incredible, i then root it.

Can I grab a plain copy of just stock android from google and install that or do I have to get a custom rom from the forums?

I just want to run plain android without all the garbage the vendor installs with it.

Thanks!