What's your current and 'ideal' monitor setup?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Curious to get some feedback here from our community.

What is your current monitor setup at home or office? Is it already your ideal setup? If not, what IS your ideal setup? Are you a dual or triple monitor person? Or do you prefer to keep things simple with one monitor? What size, resolution, aspect ratio, or brands do you prefer?

I'm sure this will open up some solid discussion... LET'S GO!! :)

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
My current setup is a MacBook Pro and Lenovo Yoga. It’s not my ideal setup though. Ideally I would like at least a dual monitor setup as I think it’s better than split screen. I also don’t want to give up portability so it would probably need to be more or less a docking station I would use. At least an area with monitors setup that I can easily connect to.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's changed a bit but I think it peaked when I still had my ThinkPad as my only PC. I had two old monitors hooked into a docking station for it so I could come home, drop it on the dock and boom - two displays and the whole desktop feel.

The monitors are a 14" HP (1024x768) that's probably around 17 years old and the better one is a Samsung SyncMaster of a size that currently escapes me. I'll check on that soon.

Right now, I commandeered my sister's old desktop so that's using the Samsung and the HP is hooked up into a USB 3.0 dock which I plug my MacBook (replaced the ThinkPad) into. Well, it's not functional right now because the latest macOS update broke DisplayLink but I await a fix.

As far as brands are, I'm pretty brand-agnostic and my ideal setup is probably two or three displays of similar size.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
A work I've been using a dual monitor setup for years. I would love try a single super wide monitor instead.
At home I sometimes connect to my 55 widescreen, however that makes me less mobile.

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Currently all I have is my laptop and no external. As far as resolution etc it really doesn't matter to me as long as it doesn't look like someone took dots to put everything on it.

For awhile now I'm on, use my phone for most things.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Wth is a monitor? I don't like PCs, and the nearest I've got to one is a 9" hybrid laptop which I seldom use, but need for occasional device management stuff and flashery. The smaller the better as long as it will do the job, and it does do it.

unmorphed

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Wth is a monitor? I don't like PCs, and the nearest I've got to one is a 9" hybrid laptop which I seldom use, but need for occasional device management stuff and flashery. The smaller the better as long as it will do the job, and it does do it.

A monitor and PC is what people with real jobs use to do real work.

unmorphed

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
two side by side 29" ultrawide Dell monitors with a 20GB RAM, 8th Gen. i7 Dell laptop dock via thunderbolt bolt with a matching setup at the office.

I wouldn't personally have gone all Dell but that's what we use at work.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
Current set up is iPhone 8 Plus (PRODUCT) RED & my trusty iPad Pro 9.7. Between these two, I honestly don’t remember the last time I touched my laptop. They do everything I need on a daily basis so my laptop just sits and collects dust. (Laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad)

Ideal Setup: I’d love a MacBook Pro. I feel I’d be more inclined to used a laptop that I could reply to iMessages on and that was part of the same ecosystem as my daily drivers.

Annie_M

Trusted Member
Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
At work, I use a HP computer/Monitor... single monitor, but our IT Guy is begging me to go with two, but I don't have a lot of space. At home, I happily get by with my iPad Air 2, my iPhone 8 Plus and my Apple Watch. My husband's the geek of the family, and his desk at work looks similar to @Golfdriver97 . He's looking for a system at home... which makes me happy because he never spends money on himself and he SHOULD!

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site

What is your current monitor setup at home or office? Is it already your ideal setup? If not, what IS your ideal setup? Are you a dual or triple monitor person? Or do you prefer to keep things simple with one monitor? What size, resolution, aspect ratio, or brands do you prefer?

I had a single ASUS 24" monitor. Nowhere near my ideal set up. If I could build a new computer there are a few options I would go for. 144hz, 27"+ most likely an ASUS or Samsung at least 2 or one 36"+ with a smaller 24" one for gaming and movies and the other for just browsing and secondary game programs.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Current daily work setup. MBP with 27" ViewSonic:
IMG_4285 copy.jpg

But I get to test all the new stuff that comes out:
IMG_4286.jpg

And sometimes I just like to show off and break out the 70" touch screen displays:
IMG_4280.jpg

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Current:
At work I have dual Dell 24" @ 1920x1080 monitors.
At home I have an MSI Notebook w/15" & a Samsung 32" 1080P HD TV connected via HDMI (Don't recall Rez. will update later) XBOX One & Direct TV controller are also connected to the 32" TV
Ideal:
Work setup is fine.
Home - Would like to swap out the 32" for a 42" or larger.

mmcpher

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My current work setup is a lousy single monitor. My desk is large enough and my eyesight poor enough to make me wish for dual widescreens (though I'd have to shred the paper wastes splayed around me).

I'd also like to be able to bump up the contrast. Right now we are on old Windows7 pc's and a terminal server set up that's weak on video and graphical capabilities-

Maybe my best shot is to redo my home office setup.

spantch101

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I use a dual setup 22 inch 1080p lg panel for my up close and personal work and A 60 inch LG OLED 4k panel for media consumption. it works for me

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I really like my iMac retina set up. Scaling works really well I just wish I could connect a laptop to the monitor.

Frehley

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site

I currently have a 27” iMac and love it.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
At work, I have two 24" monitors connected to my PC, as well as a laptop beside it. At home, just one 24" monitor on the PC and a personal laptop as a second screen. In either situation, I'd prefer to have a larger wide-screen monitor (curved would be nice).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith