What's the best way to text videos on S8+ to avoid poor quality???

TwoNiner261

Apr 27, 2018
Visit site
I was an apple guy for years, and due to some bad experiences with apple i switched to a Galaxy S8+ last year. I absolutely love it. I much prefer the Android OS over iOS. BUT there is one thing i absolutely hate on the Android. Every time a friend usually with an iphone texts me lots of photos, or video the quality is that of a early 2000's flip phone. Looks like garbage. And same goes for me trying to text any videos. I tried using Facebook messenger and helps sometimes but sometimes it still looks pixelated. I have trying googling this issue, and i can seem to find a fix. It appears to be a big problem. Apple's iMessager is far superior. Why has this not been addressed with Android?? They have these amazing phones, and cameras, but what good are they if you can't send them to anyone?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The best way is to not use MMS for it. Get them to switch to an app like Allo or upload them to Google Photos and send them a link or use Samsung Link Share and send them the link.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Moving large amounts of data (pictures, videos) over the internet is expensive. Apple chooses to eat the cost as a reward to the iMessage users.

Android users have no such sugar daddy. The carriers limit the amount of data sent via SMS/MMS to at most 1000 KB, usually less, per message.

Instant message services, like WhatsApp and other iMessage-type services, use larger data limits but not much larger.

On the Android side of things, your best bet is to have the large files hosted on photo-sharing sites or other file sharing sites and have the URL to the uploaded files messaged to the users.

TwoNiner261

Apr 27, 2018
Visit site
Well that just sucks.. haha. I love my galaxy until my friends send me videos, and they look like crap. I hate iOS but i want imessenger. Damn you Apple

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Is there some way to increase the file size limit. I understand that there is a "cap"... but 30k bytes (what I am seeing) come on!!!?? thats absurd, thats like a dial up modem from 1995!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there some way to increase the file size limit. I understand that there is a "cap"... but 30k bytes (what I am seeing) come on!!!?? thats absurd, thats like a dial up modem from 1995!

Probably but you'll end up hitting a carrier limit.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The data caps are set by the programmers of the service:
Your carrier controls the size limits of SMS/MMS texting messages, usually 600-1000 KB.
WhatsApp controls the size limits of WhatsApp messages.
Your email provider controls the size limits of the email attachments.

Apple eats the cost of the iMessage with no(?) data limits as a loyalty bonus to the iPhone users.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, Apple is doing no "eating" of the data used by Messages. Messages uses your data plan, doesn't it? For someone with a metered plan, Apple isn't reimbursing for that usage.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, Apple is doing no "eating" of the data used by Messages. Messages uses your data plan, doesn't it? For someone with a metered plan, Apple isn't reimbursing for that usage.

Correct.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

The cost of the "small" amount of data an individual user sends from his phone is covered by his data plan.

The large cost of distributing the data is paid by the owner of the servers sending out the data to the users, in this case Apple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech