. International Phones

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have never bought a phone, except locally. But I see many people buy online. And I see many people got phones my Country doesn't sell but it works. But I guess not every phone where were you live. ?

If you were to buy a phone of the internet, say Amazon, and it is an Unlocked International Model. Will it work where I live? (Which is Canada)

If not, exactly how do you know what to look for?

Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most of the time it will, but you have to check the specs of the phone carefully. The key is to know which bands the phone supports (i.e. frequencies, channels, etc.) for 3G and 4G. Then check YOUR carrier's used bands/frequencies/channels and make sure the phone you want supports them, otherwise the phone will not be able to connect to the carrier's network (think of trying to connect a 2.4GHz WiFi phone to a 5GHz WiFi network... the phone will not even see the WiFi because they're not on the same frequency, or if you wanna go old school, think of trying to listen to a specific FM station while your radio is tuned to a different 'channel').

One extra step, however, is to make sure your carrier doesn't block non-carrier phones from their network or if you first need to register it with them. And note that some carrier-specific features (like WiFi Calling or visual voicemail services) might not work if you get an unlocked phone.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh... thanks. Good to know. Probably not best, for me.

I guess you don't get carrier updates on the phone, as well?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, you only get manufacturer updates that have been released in the region the phone was originally intended for sale (for instance, if you get a Samsung phone that was supposed to be sold in Brazil, but you got it in Canada, you'll see the update when it is released to Samsung-unlocked phones of that variant AND region, so if the update is rolling out to the same model in say, Spain, you will not see it until it is released for Brazil, and chances are you will only be able to download the update via WiFi).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1