Im trying to connect a midi keyboard to my Galaxy J3. Ienabled Developer mode and enabled Usb debugging. I also tried manually setting my connection type to midi. Regardless of what I do, the keyboard doesnt get recognized by my phone. I also tried connecting a basic flash drive as well with no success.

However, when i plug the phone into a computer the usb debugging prompt DOES show up. So im not really sure what my issue is.
    05-03-2018 04:05 PM
    What keyboard model do you have?
    05-03-2018 04:27 PM
    Its called a Nektar LX25. Ive used this same keyboard connected to a Note 5 and it worked fine.
    05-03-2018 08:49 PM
    Its called a Nektar LX25. ive used this same keyboard connected to a Note 5 and it worked fine.
    05-03-2018 08:52 PM
    As far as I know the budget Samsung devices don't support USB OTG. It's not a problem with the keyboard other than the phone has no capability of using it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-03-2018 10:20 PM
    As far as I know the budget Samsung devices don't support USB OTG. It's not a problem with the keyboard other than the phone has no capability of using it.
    so why does the phone have a usb debugging and midi input options?

Edit: I just looked it up and the galaxy J3 does support usb OTG
    05-03-2018 10:37 PM
    so why does the phone have a usb debugging and midi input options?
    USB debugging has nothing to do with USBOTG. It's present on Androids even before OTG was available on the devices. The original Galaxy S running Android 2.1 has USB debugging and USB peripherals wasn't supported on Android until Android 3.1. It's used more to bridge the device to outside commands. For example you debugging to have the system open to commands from a PC using ADB.

MIDI also has nothing to do with USBOTG and peripherals. MIDI is Musical Intrument Data Interface. It's a communication protocol that connect a wide variety of musical instruments and related audio and video devices. Basically, it controls audio production.

Edit: i rechecked and I thought you were talking about a computer keyboard.

You also have to consider if whether the phone is supplying enough power to the keyboard. Even if the the capability software wise is there, if the hardware for the port is missing components like power delivery, then it won't work.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-03-2018 10:44 PM
    MIDI also has nothing to do with USBOTG and peripherals. MIDI is Musical Intrument Data Interface. It's a communication protocol that connect a wide variety of musical instruments and related audio and video devices. Basically, it controls audio production.
    Yes I am aware. My question is about midi in reference to "midi" being an option for input via usb. Why would that option exist if the device does not support usb otg? why would any of the options exist aside from charging and file transfer?
    05-03-2018 10:50 PM
    Yes I am aware. My question is about midi in reference to "midi" being an option for input via usb. Why would that option exist if the device does not support usb otg? why would any of the options exist aside from charging and file transfer?
    See my edit. I misread and thought you were talking about a different type of keyboard.

Anyway, the MIDI input in Android so far is built on a per app basis. So even if you hqve MIDI input enabled, the app you are using should be available to use it in the first place and supports your hardware keyboard.

Then as I said we also have to consider if your device is getting enough power from the phone. Does it have an external power source?
    05-03-2018 10:57 PM
    See my edit. I misread and thought you were talking about a different type of keyboard.

Anyway, the MIDI input in Android so far is built on a per app basis. So even if you hqve MIDI input enabled, the app you are using should be available to use it in the first place and supports your hardware keyboard.

Then as I said we also have to consider if your device is getting enough power from the phone. Does it have an external power source?
    im using a powered USB hub. The device is powered. The application has midi support and I have used this exact keyboard with this same program. The only difference is the phone.

Also I just saw a couple of youtube videos of people connecting usb devices to this phone.
    05-03-2018 11:37 PM
    im using a powered USB hub. The device is powered. The application has midi support and I have used this exact keyboard with this same program. The only difference is the phone.

Also I just saw a couple of youtube videos of people connecting usb devices to this phone.
    Do you mean you're connecting the phone to a hub, then the keyboard is connected to the hub?

What happens if you try to connect to the phone directly?
    05-03-2018 11:39 PM
    Do you mean you're connecting the phone to a hub, then the keyboard is connected to the hub?

What happens if you try to connect to the phone directly?
    Yes. The Keyboard runs into a hub which is powered via dc power adapter and the hub then outputs into the phone. I am using this setup because the phone does not power the device when plugged in directly.

I think it might be worth noting that when I was able to use this device successfully in the past with my Note 5, the phone was able to power the keyboard via direct connection.
    05-03-2018 11:44 PM
    Yes. The Keyboard runs into a hub which is powered via dc power adapter and the hub then outputs into the phone. I am using this setup because the phone does not power the device when plugged in directly.

I think it might be worth noting that when I was able to use this device successfully in the past with my Note 5, the phone was able to power the keyboard via direct connection.
    Therein I think lies the problem. Most mobile devices have trouble with hubs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-04-2018 12:41 AM
    Therein I think lies the problem. Most mobile devices have trouble with hubs.
    Yeah I really dont think thats the problem. People have been running hubs on their mobile devices since Note 2's were around... is there anywhere else i can address this question?
    05-04-2018 01:30 AM
    Yeah I really dont think thats the problem. People have been running hubs on their mobile devices since Note 2's were around... is there anywhere else i can address this question?
    You can try another forum, I'd recommend XDA. That's where developers hang out, people who actually rewrite Android ROMs. However I cannot be sure as to how active the J3 community is, as it is not actually a device most devs would dissect since they prefer more higher end units. But no harm in trying.

All I can say for sure is that Samsung skimps on hardware for lower end devices, so while something running on a lower end Samsung may likely run on a higher end one, the reverse is less likely to be true.
    05-04-2018 01:34 AM