Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

Starting about a week ago I've been getting pop-up ads after I unlock my phone. It's just a black screen with a square shaped ad in the center and an 'x' in the corner. It happens at random (not every time). I haven't installed/updated any apps in this time period.

Anyone familiar with this issue and how to get rid of it?

Thanks.
    05-07-2018 06:53 AM
    This is typically due to some app you installed that's sneaking ads in. Unless you have an idea of which app is the culprit, you may have to uninstall apps one by one until the ads go away.
    05-07-2018 07:27 AM
    This is typically due to some app you installed that's sneaking ads in. Unless you have an idea of which app is the culprit, you may have to uninstall apps one by one until the ads go away.
    That was the first thing I thought as well. Even though I haven't manually updated any apps, it seems like Android automatically updates the core ones.

Also, I use Firefox and it wasn't letting me on a comic book site cuz of it's heightened privacy; I used Chrome to get it. I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've ever used Chrome on this phone. Also, the comic book site is littered w/ ads.. I can see why Firefox backed off.

Could Chrome, or the website, be causing this? If I remember correctly, this Ad problem didn't start until after using Chrome n loading the site.

I don't think you can delete Chrome, so would the next best move be to clear the cache, data and whatever else can be cleared?

Thanks.
    05-07-2018 07:52 AM
    No, I don't think it's Chrome. You can certainly get browser popup ads when surfing, but they wouldn't show up if you're not actively using Chrome.

Do you have any 3rd party file manager, gallery, keyboard, "phone cleaner," or flashlight apps installed?

Also, which phone do you have? Some manufacturers (like Alcatel) are actually putting ads in their preinstalled apps, which is pretty terrible practice.
    05-07-2018 08:14 AM
    No, I don't think it's Chrome. You can certainly get browser popup ads when surfing, but they wouldn't show up if you're not actively using Chrome.

Do you have any 3rd party file manager, gallery, keyboard, "phone cleaner," or flashlight apps installed?

Also, which phone do you have? Some manufacturers (like Alcatel) are actually putting ads in their preinstalled apps, which is pretty terrible practice.
    LG G5 (RS988). I have an app called 'File Manager' but I'm not sure if it came with the phone or I downloaded it. I did a quick search for it in the App Store.. nothing. If I did get it from the store I would have grabbed it first thing; this is a new problem.
    05-07-2018 09:21 AM
    I've got the same problem which started within the last few days.

When the ad pops up (sometimes after unlocking, sometimes when launching a random app), I can press the app switcher button and I see an app called "Advertisements" is running the ad. The app does not show up in the app manager, however.

I've deleted all the apps I've downloaded since this issue materialized.Removing Ads After Unlock Screen-screenshot_20180507-100003.jpg
    05-07-2018 10:19 AM
    LG G5 (RS988). I have an app called 'File Manager' but I'm not sure if it came with the phone or I downloaded it. I did a quick search for it in the App Store.. nothing. If I did get it from the store I would have grabbed it first thing; this is a new problem.
    If you're able to completely uninstall it, then it wasn't preinstalled. If you can only Disable it, then it was preinstalled. I know that there have been suspicious apps called simply "File Manager," so if you can completely uninstall it, do so.
    05-08-2018 10:56 AM
    If you're able to completely uninstall it, then it wasn't preinstalled. If you can only Disable it, then it was preinstalled. I know that there have been suspicious apps called simply "File Manager," so if you can completely uninstall it, do so.
    My File Manager app only has a 'Disable' button.
    05-09-2018 06:51 AM
    Can you show us a list of all apps you've installed (if it isn't too long)?
    05-09-2018 11:25 AM
    I have a similar problem. Started yesterday. There's an app that I've been able to find in my file manager under apps that was downloaded yesterday. There is no option to uninstall here where I found it. But I haven't been able to find it in my phone settings nor on my homescreen so as to uninstall it. Also, it doesn't have a name. Will try post screenshots soon.
    10-23-2018 09:01 AM
    These are in order from my homescreen, to the 'Files' app, to the 'Apps' section on it, to 'Installed Apps', and then where I see this App with no name.

I'd like to find out how to delete it?? It won't let me delete it there.

I have a Huawei P9.
    Attached Thumbnails Removing Ads After Unlock Screen-screenshot_20181023-150229.jpg   Removing Ads After Unlock Screen-screenshot_20181023-150231.jpg   Removing Ads After Unlock Screen-screenshot_20181023-150234.jpg   Removing Ads After Unlock Screen-screenshot_20181023-150247.jpg  
    10-23-2018 09:07 AM
    Managed to uninstall it! I went into Battery --> Consumption Level. Then I chose the app. Disabled it. Clicked on "Information" and then uninstall. What a win!
    10-23-2018 11:16 AM