I have a Motorola G5 and just recently my phone recieved the notification from Google play saying,'checking for system and security updates' I've tried waiting but it doesn't seem to work, also tapping on the notification sends me to a blank screen which doesn't change
    05-17-2018 04:50 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum, since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Does this persist after a reboot? Is it a fullscreen message, or only a notification in the notification panel?
    05-18-2018 08:05 PM
    I got the same notification today. First time ever since I've owned my device that I've seen this. The notification wouldn't swipe away and it was there for around 7 minutes before it eventually disappeared. I'm not certain but I think it was downloading some kind of security patch. It said that "Google Play is checking for system and security updates" but it seemed more like an update that was being pushed through than a "check" as this is not something that I've ever seen before from Google.

I have also noticed that since this happened my favourite and recent contacts have stopped disappearing.

For the last week some Android users have been complaining that their recent/frequently called contacts lists have been mysteriously vanishing from their Contacts app and I have been suspecting that It could be to do with a dodgy Google Play Services update which happened about 2 weeks ago. The reason I say this is because my wife had a Google Play services update on Saturday 4th May and her phone immediately went stupidly hot even after she turned her phone off and on again. This went on for about 6 hours so she decided not to use her phone for the rest of the day. Eventually it stopped being hot but for the past 2 weeks, Google Play Services has been constantly draining our batteries. Also, the following day after the update, all our recent contacts and call logs kept going missing. Every 24hrs approximately all the recent call contacts that have been saved over the past day all get wiped out on both mine and my wife's Galaxy S7s.

Today I got the notification that you talked about. Since then, my battery life seems to have improved, my phone doesn't feel as warm and my recent calls/contacts so far (touch wood) haven't deleted.

Sounds like Google maybe sent out a patch for an earlier dodgy update.
    05-20-2019 01:56 PM