I bought a 2nd hand / 2nd user Galaxy s4 from a shop and thinking that it had already been reset, put my sim card in it and carried on using it.
    Lately, I haven't been able to get into certain apps and use websites that offer to pay via my service provider.
    The apps etc keep showing my phone's number as the wrong one. Checking on the settings of the phone it shows the correct network bit shows that the network is disconnected (which it isn't) and a different phone number for the device. I guess that this is the old number of the previous user and the network shows as disconnected because the old users sim card is no longer in the phone.
    Is there any way of changing the number in the settings under the phone info heading and then showing the phone as connected to the network without resetting the phone completely?

Robert Brooks
    05-17-2018 05:18 PM
    Since the system (the carrier) uses the SIM number, the phone should get its phone number from the SIM when it registers with the network. Have you removed the old owner's Google account from the phone (or had it been removed before you got it)? If not, you have to do that anyway. If that's not in there, talk to your carrier. (Or you could try doing a factory reset, but you 'd better have everything backed up if you do that.)
    milleniumdroid likes this.
    05-17-2018 05:30 PM
    I'm having this issue with a new phone.
    I contacted the network and they said I need to master reset the phone and the number is not coming from the SIM. Is that right?
    If it is, does that mean I've been shipped a refurb?
    12-12-2018 01:32 PM