Upgrade Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 Model I8160

BigBuilder99

May 18, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I know this is an old, (try, ancient !), phone but I use it mainly for playing my MP3 collection. However, the firmware is old, old, and I've seen what a difference a firmware upgrade makes to the performance of the phone and the menu layout. And, no, I can't get this upgrade automatically in the UK for some reason that I can't figure out.
So, I'm trying the manual install path and I've read the posts on the internet and have got as far as installing Odin 5.
But when I try and download the .TAR file: XXMC8 Jelly Bean 4.1.2, I can't find a website that has it available despite visiting some (very), dodgy sites. Bizarrely, with some links I get re-directed to the Motion Picture Association of America. Very strange. I think someone may be watching me ?
So, has anyone got the file or, a reliable link or, any other advice would also be welcome.
Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung never wrote a version of 4.1.2 or anything later for the Ace 2, so you won't find any. If you're good, you can pull the hardware layer off the phone and add it to a cut-down version of AOSP to get something newer, but in a phone with about 2GB of total storage, you're not going to fit any decent current version of Android. (Even stripped down, Android runs over 4GB now.) Consider the phone a phone and mp3 player - that's about all it's good for now. ( Inoe, I have a Precedent - about the same size, and about as useless.)

As for the MPAA redirects, you probably went to sites that, at one time, had movies for download, and as part of the court settlement, those sites became property of the MPAA. (It's illegal to download commercial movies.)

BigBuilder99

May 18, 2018
Visit site
O.k., thanks for this response.

Sadly, I have 2 Ace2s, (although I have an S5 as my regular phone), and, you're quite right, I use the Ace2 as an MP3 player, mainly.

A few years ago, I took one of my Ace 2s to the US. While there, and connected to one of the providers, it automatically downloaded a firmware update and is now running Android 4.1.2 quite happily.
The Ace2 I left in the UK is still on Android 2.3.6 and I can't get it to upgrade to 4.1.2. I don't think that upgrade was made available to UK providers which is why I can't upgrade the phone. That's why I'm keen to upgrade it to 4.1.2 - but can't seem to get hold of the upgrade file.
Any further comments/suggestions most welcome.
Thanks.

BigBuilder99

May 18, 2018
Visit site
Ahh, no, apologies, 2s is my attempt to convey the fact that I have 2 Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phones so it's an attempt at the plural version of 2.
And, yes, I've tried that link - but they want payment to download the file.
And, yes, I'm trying to get it for free.
Maybe I should go back to the US .... ?:)

But, they do list firmware files for some UK providers so I'm now doubly confused why my Ace 2 hasn't automatically downloaded the update.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Ah yes, as the device is pretty old, they put a paywall for older device firmwares. But that's the best legitimate site for official Samsung ROMs. The only sources of ROMs I would trust for Samsung is either that or XDA. XDA will likely also have custom ROMs for your device.

BigBuilder99

May 18, 2018
Visit site
Thanks very much for this further update.
You've helped me narrow down my choices - to one.
The XDA suggestion does, indeed have the file I'm interested in. Problem is that one link to the file itself has been blocked due to 'copyright violations', and the other link directs me to a string of code with the warning 'for developers only'. I've been called many things in my life - most of them impolite - but an Android developer isn't one of them so I'm steering well clear of that one.:)
This leaves me with your other suggestion: Sammobile so, if I want to upgrade, I will have to bite the bullet and open my wallet .....
Thanks again for your help - it's been greatly appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers