How to listen to youtube with the screen locked without stopping the sound coming from youtube?

addie2018

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I've got a Samsung J3 2017. Is it possible to listen to music VIA youtube with my screen locked without it shutting the site down ( or stopping the music from playing) When I'm in the gym and have youtube on I have to keep the screen open and put the phone in my pocket, this sometimes causes problems as while the phones in my pocket it sometimes presses buttons by accident and changing the music I'm currently listening to. When I press the button on the right hand side to lock the screen the music stops playing in the background automatically, is there any way around this? Thanks in advance.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
YouTube only runs in the background if you pay for a subscription to something like YouTube Red or YouTube Music. Otherwise, no, you can't.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
YouTube only runs in the background if you pay for a subscription to something like YouTube Red or YouTube Music. Otherwise, no, you can't.
This. The ability to play in the background is not a free feature. Bugs have occasionally been found that allowed this, but they are quickly closed up.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar issue. I have YT Red and when I use the YT Music app, when I lock the screen (or when it locks on it's own) the music pauses. I have to wake up the screen and un-pause the music. Is there a setting I need to change?

markk12

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Install Brave Browser from Play Store, then open brave browser, go to settings>site settings>media>background video playback, switch it to enabled, restart brave browser, now when you play a video in brave browser, it will play even after you have locked the screen.