Hi all, with gdpr kicking in now in Europe I have a new Google work email and I'm required to use bcc for any emails to groups.

I use group emails a lot, and have several different email groups. I currently use the Samsung stock app and it does this well but for a few different reasons I'd like to use gmail.

So I'm looking for the following

Create a usergroup on google

The ability to bcc email that user group on Gmail.

Is that possible? Would make things simpler for me as I integrate everything into the new Google account.

Thanks for any help.
    05-29-2018 03:29 PM
    You can. It's not as simple from the App as it is from the Web interface, but it's possible as long as the contacts are synced to your phone. When you create a group in GMail (only can do it from the web interface), it will sync to your phone. However, composing a message through the GMail app doesn't let you add groups directly into the To/CC/BCC fields. Instead, you'd have to go to your device's Contacts app, select the group you want to contact, and select SEND E-MAIL. Now, if you didn't set the stock e-mail app as a default, it should ask you which app to do this with. Just select GMail, and it will copy the groups' e-mails into the TO field. Just copy those and move to BCC (Told ya it wasn't as easy as doing so from the Web interface). That's the only way to do it in the app, unfortunately.
    05-29-2018 05:32 PM
    Just out of curiosity, after you put the group name in the "to" line, what do you put in the "bcc" line?
    06-01-2018 04:42 AM
    Just out of curiosity, after you put the group name in the "to" line, what do you put in the "bcc" line?
    From the web version, you write the name of the group on either field and it auto-populates the list. On the mobile app, you have to do the above steps from the Contacts app, and that will only put the address list in the TO filed; you have to go ahead, copy from the TO field (or cut, rather) and past into the BCC field. The mobile app doesn't automatically 'read' groups from your phone's Contacts, so writing the name of the group will yield nothing.
    06-01-2018 11:17 AM
    I get the how. I am questioning the why.

What does the GDPR have to do with group emails and BCC lines?
    06-01-2018 08:51 PM
    You can. It's not as simple from the App as it is from the Web interface, but it's possible as long as the contacts are synced to your phone. When you create a group in GMail (only can do it from the web interface), it will sync to your phone. However, composing a message through the GMail app doesn't let you add groups directly into the To/CC/BCC fields. Instead, you'd have to go to your device's Contacts app, select the group you want to contact, and select SEND E-MAIL. Now, if you didn't set the stock e-mail app as a default, it should ask you which app to do this with. Just select GMail, and it will copy the groups' e-mails into the TO field. Just copy those and move to BCC (Told ya it wasn't as easy as doing so from the Web interface). That's the only way to do it in the app, unfortunately.
    Sorry to necro, but since this thread is near the top of Google's search results, I think it's worth correcting:

SpookDroid's method doesn't actually work to BCC a group in the GMail app--you can get as far as pasting emails into the To: field, but GMail doesn't allow you to cut and paste multiple addresses in the To:, CC:, or BCC: fields.

The only way I've found as of Jan 2019 is to use a third party app such as "Group Share for Gmail." This app has worked OK for me, but sometimes it doesn't paste the whole list (~90 addresses), so you have to pay attention to how many are in the list and double-check the number pasted into the BCC field.
    01-30-2019 10:17 AM