Occasionally my phone will be taken over by the truly awful and horribly intrusive voice announce thing. Instead of the sound I've selected for incoming calls, or alarms, or indeed anything at all, I hear a truly appalling female voice announcing that I have an incoming call or an alarm of whatever it is. When I open the phone there is a screen inviting me to say "Hi Galaxy", with several options. Repeatedly (and feverishly) tapping the "return" button on the bottom right of the phone eventually makes it go away, but it always returns and, uninvited and unwanted, takes over my phone again.

How can I permanently get rid of this seriously offensive piece of pointless software?

All advice gratefully received.
    06-11-2018 01:45 AM
    See this:

https://www.androidcentral.com/top-5...amsung-s-voice

Very clever stuff, and to some users, especially disabled, an invaluable aid. It can be switched off via your App Manager.
    06-11-2018 04:53 AM
    Thank you belodion for you rapid response. You are right of course, different strokes for different folks. I find it intensely irritating, others find it intensely useful.
    I followed the link you posted, however it would seem I don't have S voice on my phone. I cannot find anything called svoice, s voice or s-voice. Also, when I go to Settings it looks nothing like the screenshot on the link. In other posts it is suggested to turn things off or on in the accessibility screen. I have found that screen and turned everything off, but still the problem (for me) exists.
    I've added some screenshots that I hope will help.
    Thanks, Ian
    How to turn OFF "Hi Galaxy"-screenshot_2018-06-12-12-28-06.jpgHow to turn OFF "Hi Galaxy"-screenshot_2018-06-12-12-31-53.jpg
    belodion likes this.
    06-11-2018 10:36 PM
    If there's one thing about which I know little - and trust me, there are millions of things - it's Samsung phones. Do you not see S Voice in Settings, App Manager, All, if you scroll down? It would probably be listed in there, rather than having a home screen icon as in your screenshots above.
    06-12-2018 06:26 AM
    That is a valid point that even from the settings menu, a search for s voice produces no results.
    06-12-2018 08:15 AM
    What about double-tapping Home, then going into the three-dot menu?
    06-12-2018 09:38 AM
    Well tapping the three dots thing helped. I opened my ap list (I don't seem to have a home button...) and found the three dot menu. Opened that and found the list of disabled aps. S voice was in the list of disabled aps. I re enabled it again, then it appeared on my list of aps. I opened it and tapped the three dot menu and selected "disable voice feedback". Maybe that will do it...
    Thanks to belodion and methodman89 for your help.
    ;-) Ian
    belodion likes this.
    06-13-2018 04:18 AM
    Get back to us if it doesn't. By 'Home', I meant one of the buttons at the bottom of the display....so far as I know, the middle one on a Samsung, with Recents on the left and Back on the right.
    06-13-2018 06:52 AM
    Thanks belodion. The Home button on the Samsung is actually a physical button, which I thought was for turning the phone on. But it does indeed take me back to the home screen when I click it. The recents and back buttons however are soft buttons. They only show up when you actually tap them... On my old S3 the recents button used to open a context menu depending on the application, like right clicking the mouse on a PC, presumably programmed by the ap developer. Not any more it seems... :-(
    And so far my phone has not been hijacked!
    belodion likes this.
    06-14-2018 04:11 AM