I'm trying to find a phone for my wife who mainly uses a phone for talking, texting, & apps (no gaming). Think it needs to be in the 5" to 5.2" range and be as light as possible. Must have good volume for calling, notifications, etc. and decent speaker.

I would prefer it to be more of a stock Android but I'm flexible on that. I'm willing to spend $200 and possibly up to $250 if absolutely necessary.

I had originally thought the Moto G5 Plus might fit the bill but not after reading about poor volume issues.

She also tends to drop my old LG Ultimate 2 a lot so she needs something durable although I intend to get a good case & screen protector. Want an unlocked phone so I can use with Tracfone's BYOP which uses Verizon service in our area.

Open to any suggestions! Should the Moto X4 be in consideration?
    06-12-2018 10:19 AM
    Dailysteals.com has the 32 GB 1st gen Pixel for $210 and Pixel XL for $220 (a little more for the 128 GB versions). These are refurbished, but the one I got for my parents looks and works totally fine. http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=6OdOe22c
    06-12-2018 11:02 AM
    B. Diddy so you definitely wouldn't be afraid of a B Grade Refurbished (whatever that is) seems like I read somewhere to stay away from refurbished?

On the other hand I'm actually a fan of Pixels since I purchased a Pixel 2 a couple of months ago and I absolutely love it!

Never having a Pixel to compare to my Pixel 2 do you think the former is a pretty robust phone if used with a good case & screen protector? I have a Speck Presidio Grip on my Pixel 2 but have no idea if it will protect it if dropped so I'm pretty careful. My wife on the other hand is not as careful and will fumble with or drop her phone although usually from a seated position.
    06-12-2018 11:20 AM
    The Pixel is a very nice phone, but I'm not sure on the size since it's actually big for a 5 inch phone. You could also look into the Nokias. Not sure where you live or their availability there, but they are part of the Android One program (so they're stock) and they have a lot of models that actually sell brand new for less than 250USD equivalent.
    tube517 likes this.
    06-12-2018 11:26 AM
    The Pixel is a very nice phone, but I'm not sure on the size since it's actually big for a 5 inch phone. You could also look into the Nokias. Not sure where you live or their availability there, but they are part of the Android One program (so they're stock) and they have a lot of models that actually sell brand new for less than 250USD equivalent.
    Actually the Pixel is probably the perfect size and weight for her after using my Pixel 2. I just don't know about buying refurbished would like some more thoughts on that. Also I don't consider my Pixel 2 a really robust phone so imagine the Pixel would be the same or hopefully the same but maybe a heavy duty case would take care of that.

I'm in the US.
    06-12-2018 11:41 AM
    B. Diddy so you definitely wouldn't be afraid of a B Grade Refurbished (whatever that is) seems like I read somewhere to stay away from refurbished?
    I got a B grade refurb for my parents through Groupon Goods, and it's perfectly fine. There are a few scuffs on the back, but I put a case on it anyway. For Groupon, at least, B grade means no scratches on the screen, although there could be "blemishes," which I take to mean slight scuff marks.

I can't really comment on how sturdy the phone is, since I always put a case on. My wife has a Pixel XL, which developed a cracked screen after a drop, but she can be a little careless with her phones.
    06-13-2018 02:19 AM
    I just got an LG G5 for about that price new from LG.

I had a Samsung Galaxy S7, which is fantastic except I wanted a removable battery.

And the G5 and V20 are basically the last of the mohicans in terms of the battery.

Specs are pretty much on par with the Galaxy S7. Same processor/ram. But it's not water resistant.

It's metal tho so it would definitely be better than glass in terms of durability.

You can get refurbished Galaxy S7 for that price as well.
    06-24-2018 08:29 PM
    Dailysteals.com has the 32 GB 1st gen Pixel for $210 and Pixel XL for $220 (a little more for the 128 GB versions). These are refurbished, but the one I got for my parents looks and works totally fine. http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=pbQXP0ek
    If available, I agree. First gen Pixels.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-24-2018 09:21 PM