Internet connection breaks randomly while phone connected to Wifi?

alxv1

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
My phone is a Galaxy J7 (2017), no root. For the past month or more I'm having this strange issue.

My home network is through fiber optics, always very stable. Whatever I'm doing online or my pc is idle, the connection drops for 5-10 seconds every 30 seconds or so while my phone is connected to the router's Wifi. While it's not, everything works fine. I made 2 screenshots in cmd on Pc as example:
-phone disconnected
https://postimg.cc/image/koou4qut9/

-phone connected
https://postimg.cc/image/hhual6fj1/

what could be the issue? I disabled 5 Ghz connection and left it on 2.4 but nothing changed.

Do I have to reset my phone or is it the router? The other person living with me has a Hwaway p9 and it works fine

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you already tried rebooting the router (by unplugging its power for about 30 seconds)?

alxv1

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
Thank you, and yes I tried rebooting phone many times, router (which sometimes solved the problem but for a limited time), checked cables, router firmware updates itself, one thing I haven't done is factory reset the phone or router

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since ping only accesses DNS once, I suspect it's something a bit more complex (no need to go into it here).

Call your ISP's tech support people, ask the tech if s.he can meet you on your line and watch what's happening from there end, to see if they have any idea what the problem is. Ping -t until s/he's watching the line, then connect the phone to wifi. As soon as you see the timeout, say "there". They should be able to tell you enough to either let you fix it, or give you ammunition to get the factory fix it. (One of my ISP's techs once diagnosed that my router was overheating. From his desk. They can get that specific.)

It could be something in the phone throwing a keep-alive every so often - and it's so badly formed that it just stops the router for a second or so. Or it could be a bad connection on the pole (I had one of those once - the connector boot wasn't sitting right, so the connector had rotted out.) Or it could be almost anything. But you have to be looking at the packets coming down the line to tell. (And wireshark is one of the simplest tools they use. They have really heavy-duty things if they need them.)

alxv1

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
I'll keep looking for something that works, it's a pretty strange problem to have, even guys at my local tech store didn't know what to think of it, I'll try with my ISP first and update