Hello all,

I have very recently purchased and started using a Samsung Galaxy S7 after many years as an iPhone user. The switch was rough at first but I'm starting to like it. I'm having one odd, recurring issue, though.

My phone keeps repeatedly telling me to update the software. In the first 48 hours of owning this phone, it has done this 10 times, and I wish that was an exaggeration. It's actually being even more beligerent about it than iOS update reminders, as it's actually popped up while trying to use other apps; most notably, it has twice now interrupted me while playing a rhythm game and thrown off my combo. It's rather annoying. I even have Game Launcher running which claims to block all alerts, but this thing keeps getting in my face.

I found an older post on a Verizon forum where a user had a similar issue and they fixed it by downloading some Verizon specific app on their computer and updated it while plugged into their PC. Is there some sort of equivalent for an AT&T phone? Or is there some other way to get it to calm down with the software updates? The last one said it was trying to do Android 8 I believe.

If anyone has any ideas or advice, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you for your time,
    -Eriias
    07-01-2018 03:39 PM
    Most software updates are security-related, so you're best off installing them as soon as you can, after the alert appears.

A few, like the 8.1 update, are OS updates - but first, you should be running the latest version and second, many version updates contain security patches too, so see #1 .

As for turning off the alerts, you can - if the phone is rooted. But that's a lame reason to root a phone. (The Android equivalent to jailbreaking.) And you won't get updates.

If you buy an older phone, and the S7 has been out for a little over 2 years, you're going to get all the non-cumulative updates, which are most of them. And you're going to get the notices once a day, until you've updated to the current update. Buy an iPhone 6 now and you'd probably get the same thing.
    07-01-2018 04:27 PM