How do I change the number of times my phone rings before going to Voicemail?

frapha

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Number of Rings before Voicemail

On HTC Inspire, how do I change the number of rings or time before an incoming call goes to VM? The default settings seem low and most of my calls are going to VM before I can get the phone answered.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
On HTC Inspire, how do I change the number of rings or time before an incoming call goes to VM? The default settings seem low and most of my calls are going to VM before I can get the phone answered.
That's usually a setting you need to change with your carrier. In most cases you can dial into your voice mail and change options over the phone.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
VM isn't a phone feature. It's a carrier feature. Also, you don't set number of rings. You set the ring length. Number of rings = ring length / ringtone length.

There's a *61 feature code that works for many GSM carriers. You'd have to Google for details though. Otherwise, call your carrier.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
There is an app called AirVoice, which will act as voicemail for your phone. Avoid additional carrier charges depending on plan.

Only issue, is the phone MUST be rooted, and is ify-ify on some types of phones or ROMs.

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
*61 code to reset ring length

On most Droids, and most carriers:

1. Dial *#61# and click Send. You will see your VM access number and the current ring delay time.
2. Write down the phone number displayed (including +1).
3. Dial **61*+1xxxyyyzzzz*11*30# and hit Send. +1xxxyyyzzzz is the number you wrote down previously, 30 is the delay in seconds. The delay can be set in 5 second increments, 30 is maximum.
4. Dial *#61# to verify that the new settings are active.

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

I have AT&T. Not sure if these other methods work, but I called customer service and they took care of it. They set it by time, not rings, so try to figure out how long it is right now (or they can probably tell you) to determine how long you want them to make it.

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have AT&T. Not sure if these other methods work, but I called customer service and they took care of it. They set it by time, not rings, so try to figure out how long it is right now (or they can probably tell you) to determine how long you want them to make it.

The *61, etc. method works for AT&T, which is what I have, and, from what I have read on the blogs, works for most carriers. It is a system, and not a phone, setting, but what you are doing with the *61, etc. is telling the system what you want, and using your phone to do it.

Linda Winning

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Number of Rings before Voicemail

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with Verizon. I called them and they discovered my Auto Reject Calls was turned on. Under Contacts, the menu (three dots at the top) gives a Settings selection, then Call, then Call Rejection. Auto reject mode was on, so turned it Off. This is a new phone, so don't know how Auto reject mode got turned on. Frustrating.

1iwilly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: *61 code to reset ring length

i just tried it on my tmobile s5 worked like a charm thanks

1. Dial *#61# and click Send. You will see your VM access number and the current ring delay time.
3. Dial **61*+1xxxyyyzzzz*11*30# and hit Send. +1xxxyyyzzzz is the number you wrote down previously, 30 is the delay in seconds. The delay can be set in 5 second increments, 30 is maximum.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

For those who can't get *#61# to work, unlike other *# codes, you have to actually make the call using that number.

legal magpie

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

I've also just used this method. I was a bit confused by all the x's and y's as my voicemail number is simply 121 but it worked perfectly and now runs for 30 seconds

koolbrown

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
On the Samsung GALAXY Note 4, you can change the length of time to answer a call from 2 seconds up to 10 seconds. Go to phone icon as though you were going to place a call. Press the three dots at the top of the screen and select settings. There you will see the option to change the length of time to answer a call. It's not the number of rings, rather the length of time.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

Worked great for me on my Note 4 on at&t. Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

Donald Hammond

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

I know this is old, but for those who may come on looking for the answer and having a problem, like Linda here, READ THE FREAKING INSTRUCTIONS.

She forgot the * which is clearly part of the code to send. This worked fine for my S5 but then I did *#61#