- The background:
    I've rooted my phone and saved some personal documents in the /data folder (don't ask me why I needed that haha);

- The problem:
    I was running some "tests" on my android and ended up crashing it for good.
    Had to reinstall my custom ROM due to an emergercy to dial someone and thus wiped my /data (except /data/media).

- What now:
    I did not install any other app (only the rom itself) hoping not to corrupt the lost files.

How may I recover them?
    I've tried common softwares like Fonedog but they focus on common file types.. I had ".cpp" files there.

Right now I'm trying out Droid Explorer (it at least allows me to access Android internal filesystems);
    07-20-2018 01:59 PM
    Had to reinstall my custom ROM
    Custom or stock, the data partition is wiped.

I did not install any other app (only the rom itself) hoping not to corrupt the lost files.
    That wouldn't work anyway - the userdata partition was wiped, so all the directories in it are gone. Only a program like PhotoRec could recover files now, but Christophe hasn't written an Android version as far as I know. SD cards? Piece of cake. Internal storage - no possibility.

Right now I'm trying out Droid Explorer (it at least allows me to access Android internal filesystems);
    Except that the internal filesystem was wiped when you flashed the ROM, so all it's going to see is from the time you flashed thew ROM, not before that.

Sorry.

Next time, back up anything important before you do anything that might endanger your storage (even an update can). Actually you should have everything backed up anyway. Put your only copy of a large .cpp file on the phone, go out for a bit and drop your phone just as a truck drives over it, and even though you may have insurance to cover the entire cost of the replacement, your data is gone. Put it on the phone? Copy it to your PC. Then use it on the phone. (I've run trivial little apps that had one stupid typo - that required reflashing the ROM to get the phone back. But I learned about that back in the days that a Pascal program ate my only copy of the entire system that we had on only one floppy - back in 1978 - so I don't make that mistake again - ever. [I thought the boss was going to explode and spatter himself all over the walls.] I also learned to manually undelete files on a Mostek OS, so we just lost a few hours. But I still have everything on my phone backed up to the PC and the cloud.)
    07-20-2018 04:16 PM
    Only a program like PhotoRec could recover files now
    Yes, I was thinking of TestDisk, but for that I need to mount the userdata filesystem on Windows (and map it as a drive) or Linux, that is my issue right now :/

anyway, thanks for your reply.
    07-20-2018 05:05 PM
    Not even that - Android doesn't give you physical access to the drive, just to the files that are in the directories of the drive. You could use dd to image the datauser partition, copy that image to a PC, then follow his directions for iPhones. If you can get down to that level now.
    07-20-2018 05:36 PM