How can I assign a file name to a picture before it is saved?

Kevin O A

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I am in the remodeling business and one of the things I have to do is walk through a home and take pictures of things that I will need to look at later in order to make a proper bid. It's very cumbersome and takes a lot of time to go to my phone later, or to my computer, and find the pictures I took and put them in new file folders and then give them a name so they make sense to me later.

What I would like to be able to do is take a picture and before it is saved onto my phone I would like to name the file and assign it to a folder. Is there a camera app that allows me to do something like this?

I have a Galaxy S7. Thanks for any help anyone has.

Kevin

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
After your shoot, you can tab recents and change the name, not before.
You can turn on the Metadata option and you'll have all the information you need to group your pics.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately no app will allow you to do that. You can add notes to the picture's metadata, but that's about it. Only apps to manage files (not cameras) will allow you to move/rename the file after it's been already saved to the camera folder.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Building on @SpookDroid 's answer.

The easy way to do almost what you are looking for is this:

Leave the files named after the timestamp used by the camera, this is a good thing.
Using your favorite file browser app:
- In the DCIM folder, create a subfolder of a name representing the shoot you just did.
- Move the new images to the folder you just created.
- Do this before moving on to your next shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech