I'm trying to install a simple app (Skype) on my Moto G, and am unable to do so. What happens is that I clicked "Install," nothing seemed to happen, and now when I try to install it again it says that it's already installed. However, even when I go to Settings and then Apps, bringing up a complete list of my apps, it's clearly not there. Does anyone know what the issue could be?
    08-07-2018 08:41 PM
    Peter, first of all, I'm actually the OP (I realized that I had to register in order to replay to my own thread!). Thanks for the response. Sure enough, I am very low in room in my phone. However, usually it would say something like "not enough room -- clear space to install" -- something like that. This time I get no such message. That being the case, do you still think that's the problem?

Also, by the way, one problem is that there really isn't a lot I want to delete. Do you happen to know if there's any way to ADD storage space to a Moto G? Thanks again.
    08-08-2018 04:53 PM
    I'm trying to install a simple app (Skype) on my Moto G, and am unable to do so. What happens is that I clicked "Install," nothing seemed to happen, and now when I try to install it again it says that it's already installed. However, even when I go to Settings and then Apps, bringing up a complete list of my apps, it's clearly not there. Does anyone know what the issue could be? Thank you.
    08-09-2018 06:07 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I merged your duplicate threads. BTW, the initial response you got was deleted by a Mod, since it was deemed to be spam.

How are you trying to install Skype -- using the Play Store app, or the Play Store website? Make sure you're using the Play Store app.

Which generation of Moto G do you have? If the phone has a microSD slot, you can always add storage space that way. SD cards are best used for media storage (like music, photos, videos, etc.), and I advise against relying on them as sole storage for important data, since SD cards are inherently less reliable than onboard memory.
    08-11-2018 06:23 PM
    Hi B Diddy! First of all, sorry about the duplicate posts and everything but the issue is the whole registration thing. The second time I tried to ask the question, I didn't realize that I was logged out so I had the same problem when it comes to responding to my thread.

Secondly, please understand that I'm actually kind of an ***** when it comes to smartphones. With that said, let's see. I've tried it both through the Play Store and directly from Chrome -- I just went to Skype's site and tried to download it. But since you said it's better to go through the Play Store app, I just tried that again and remembered when I originally stopped trying. I click Install, then Accept, but then nothing happens.

As for the generation, I THINK it's a First Generation (again, my lack of knowledge about these phones). It was purchased in January of 2015, in case that helps. Is there any way to tell definitively?

As for the less reliable memory, well, obviously right now everything is in the phone's original memory, since I've never installed a card. If I were to install a card, I guess it would be primarily for more apps, as well as, of secondary importance, more photos.

Hope all of this makes the issue more clear! Thanks again.
    08-12-2018 05:46 PM
    It's always best to install apps through the Play Store app. When you say you tapped the Install button on the Play Store app's page for Skype, what did it ask you to Accept? Was it telling you about the Permissions the app would need?

To find out the exact model name/number, go to Settings>About Phone, and look at the Model there. Which one is it?

On Android devices, the SD card is best used to store media files (like photos, music, videos, etc.). Although there are ways to install an app on the card (in some cases only partially, in other cases fully), I generally advise against it, since it can lead to slower performance. And since SD cards are generally less reliable, it can also break your apps if the card fails, thus potentially causing loss of important data.
    08-12-2018 06:36 PM
    1. It says "needs access to" and then lists basically everything: identity, contacts, location, etc. I think that's pretty normal, though, based on past experience.

2. All it says under "Model number" is Moto G. Nothing about a generation. Maybe that's one reason why I'm confused. Unless that, in and of itself, simply implies that it's 1st generation.

3. Hmm, okay. So if this works out and I DO add the card, could I just transfer all of my images onto the card and then have the internal memory wide open for the apps? Is transferring from one storage source to another a big deal?

Thanks again.
    08-13-2018 09:54 AM
    Hmm, that's odd. I thought Moto phones usually listed their model numbers (typically starting with XT). What version of Android is it running? You should also see that in the Settings>About Phone menu. If you bought the phone in Jan 2015, then it's either a 1st or 2nd gen.

So after you see that Permissions page and you tap Accept, you don't see any kind of installation progress bar? Does this happen with any app, or just Skype? Are you also looking in the App Drawer (i.e., the list of all installed apps that comes up when you tap the icon that looks like a grid of dots in the bottom row)?

You should be able to move your photos to the SD card to free up that same amount of Internal Storage. But I would caution you against relying on the phone (either internal storage or the SD card) as the only place you keep your photos. Make sure you back them up somewhere else -- like your computer hard drive, or better yet, in your Google Photos cloud (https://support.google.com/photos/an...DAndroid&hl=en).
    08-14-2018 10:56 PM
    Let's see.

1. It's Android version 5.1 . And directly above that is where it says just Moto G.

2. No, I don't. Seriously, it's like it just totally ignored the command. It just goes right back to the previous screen. That's why I expressed some doubt as to whether it's really a storage space issue, although it certainly might be as I do know I am running out of room.

3. Yes, I already back up my phone photos about once a month, so no problem on that end.
    08-15-2018 09:02 PM
    Right now, if you open the Play Store and go to the Skype page, does it have an Install or Uninstall button?

Also, does this only seem to happen with Skype? Are you able to install other apps from the Play Store?
    08-16-2018 02:37 PM
    1. Still says Install. It just won't actually do it!

2. Good question. I guess I haven't tried because I didn't want to mess with it further. But now I just did with a random app, and, interestingly, it didn't install either, but this time I DID get an insufficient storage message.

And there's some bad news (well, for me, anyway)! I took the device to a nearby BestBuy today, the guy opened up the phone and said that there are NO "slots" for installing anything. Not storage, or even a "SIM Card" -- everything is internal-only. He said that my only option would be to upload my images to the Cloud and get them off my phone to make room for more apps. Based on what I've told you here, do you concur?
    08-16-2018 05:38 PM
    You probably have the non-LTE version of the 1st gen Moto G, which doesn't have an SD slot (and it's probably from Verizon, which is a CDMA network and doesn't require a SIM for non-LTE phones). If you want to back up your current photos that are saved on the phone, then backing them up to a cloud storage (I highly recommend Googl Photos) is a good idea. But it's not the only option -- you can also connect the phone to your computer and copy them to the computer's hard drive. To do that:

1. Connect via USB to the PC.
    2. Swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB connection icon.
    3. Make sure MTP (or File Transfer) is selected.
    4. On the PC, open Windows Explorer and look for the phone in the device list -- open it and navigate to the /DCIM/Camera directory.
    5. Manually select your photos and drag/drop them to the computer hard drive.

Use the Copy function, not Move, because if something goes wrong with the Move operation, it will still probably wipe out the original files it was trying to move, and you will have lost them. Copy will leave the original files alone. Once you've confirmed the files copied successfully, then you can delete the originals on the phone.

Once you've cleared up substantial space, try installing apps again.
    08-18-2018 11:30 AM
    I actually already have the photos backed up to both my hard drive AND an external hard drive. The thing is, and maybe this is silly, I actually like having them on my phone to carry around. But as that's not the most important thing (by the way, the reason I need to install Skype on my phone in the first place is that I'm having problems with my desktop as well, and the person I want to hire to help me remotely says that, as we'll lose the connection between our computers at points, he needs Skype to stay in communication with me during those points), I did just go ahead and remove almost all of them from the device, and, sure enough, I was able to download Skype now. So, yes, after all that, I guess it was a storage issue. I just wish there had been an outcome in which I could have kept the photos AND installed the app. Needless to say, when I get my next phone, storage (and expandibility of storage), will be a major criterion.

Oh, and while I don't know for sure if it's the non-LTE version, yes, it certainly is from Verizon. If I had been more savvy about this stuff at the time, I probably would have chosen differently.

Thank you!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    08-19-2018 04:20 PM