Hangout was working fine for a long time until after recent updates. I cannot make or receive phone calls. I checked all the settings and they are right. If I uninstall Hangouts and Hangouts dialer and reinstall them again, they will work until I turn off my phone. The same problem comes back when I turn my phone back on again. It is a pain in the neck to uninstall and restore them every time I turn off my phone. I had no such problem in the past, before the recent updates. I have an older phone running Android 4.1.1. When making a call, instead of connecting the call, it leaves the Hangouts screen and goes to the phone's home screen instead. At first, I thought the Norton Security app was blocking Hangouts. I uninstalled it, but Hangouts still does not work.
    08-13-2018 12:24 AM
    Welcome to Android Central.

What phone do you have, and what version of Android is it running?
    08-13-2018 12:47 AM
    That happens to my oldie Nexus 5 on Lollipop, nothing worked. Ended up disabling hangouts and replacing it.
    08-13-2018 03:53 AM
    HTC, Android 4.1.1. I think the problem is caused by recent Hangouts updates. Don't know why they update so frequently and not thoroughly tested before releasing updates. From now on, if something is working, I will not download Google updates. I had problems with gmail, Google and Chrome updates too. Many people posted similar problems on the Hangouts forum. Maybe members here can come up with a work arround.

https://productforums.google.com/for...ories/hangouts
    08-13-2018 09:51 AM
    I tried clearing data on both Hangouts and Hangouts dialer, but that did not solve the problem.
    08-14-2018 12:47 AM