I would really like to upgrade from my iPhone 3G to an Android device but I fear there isn't one that fits all my needs. I was initially looking at a Droid Charge but I just don't trust Samsung to get a Gingerbread update out in a timely fashion. Here is my check list

Needs to be able to do Google Video Chat
    LTE (optional)
    No TMobile because of where I work

Short list, right? Ideally one of the three current VZW LTE phones would have Gingerbread on them but they are all running Froyo. Gingerbread is of course important in this case because that update allows for Video Chat, where I don't think previous versions of Android deal with the front facing camera in a consistant manner.

Is there a phone out there that will tick those boxes, either out now or within the next few months? Of the Thunderbolt, Charge, or Revolution which is more likely to get a Gingerbread update first?

Thanks so much for your help!
    06-03-2011 07:26 AM
    Of the Thunderbolt, Charge, or Revolution which is more likely to get a Gingerbread update first?
    I wouldn't rule out the HTC Sensation (pyramid), although I don't know if has hit the states yet.

If you want to know which ph or provider pushes out updates first, it's like being a drunk fortune teller.

A lot of people don't want to wait until a newer version is finally released. So they root (when possible) and install a custom ROM (when possible). For example, the T-bolt, I believe was released before the Charge, but your'e talking 2 different Manufacturers. So it's a toss-up on who gets an update first. First the ph manufacturer releases an update, then the providers have to adjust it to install their bloatware and such.
    06-03-2011 10:00 AM
    How about the Nexus S 4G on Sprint. Front facing camera, 4G Wimax, Google talk video calls, and stock experience with fast updates.
    06-03-2011 12:52 PM
    How about the Nexus S 4G on Sprint. Front facing camera, 4G Wimax, Google talk video calls, and stock experience with fast updates.
    Not a bad choice either. Unfortunately, I'm in Moscow, so I don't know every phone as per provider.
    06-03-2011 02:43 PM
    @Jalarm

Thanks! I'll do some research to see how the Sprint coverage is in Columbus OH. Would prefer the LTE, but if I can get the other items on my list as it is...
    06-03-2011 04:12 PM