Message App crash on text deletion

Stomppy

Aug 28, 2018
Visit site
I am using LG G5 with Android 7.0

When I try to delete a single text with any multimedia in it (picture, GIF) the app message crashed and does not delete the text. I have a very long text history with my wife and would like to keep most of it, but wanted to delete any media to hopefully have the thread load faster. I can delete plain text, but any attempt at a text with a picture or GIF causes it to crash.

I have rebooted the phone, and tried deleting the Message App cache and storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum, since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Try going to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and look for Message Storage. If present, try clearing the cache from there.

Stomppy

Aug 28, 2018
Visit site
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Thank you for moving it.

After selecting Show System, I could not find an entry titled Message Storage. Just Messaging. I cleared data from this again, but messaging crashed again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That suggests it's a bug with the app itself, or with the firmware. Is this the stock LG messaging app, or Android Messages, or something else?

The only thing left to try would be a factory reset, but I'm not sure that's worth the hassle. You could also try installing another SMS app and see if that one can delete the thread successfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34