Connecting Android Phone to Android Car Stereo?

DGuilford

Sep 8, 2018
Visit site
Hello all, First poster, and iPhone converter so please be gentle with me!

I have a Blaupunkt Cape Town 940 Din Headunit running Android 4.1 optimised for its use as a Car Stereo. Uphill recently I have been running an old iPod Classic 240gb connected to one of the rear USB ports for my music library, and my iPhone 5s connected via Bluetooth as a phone (and Music streaming if I wish). Lately I've been having some issues with the iPod Classic so I decided now was the time to update and run an Android/Android setup, so with this in mind I have now purchased a Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime running Android 6.0 which I have installed a verbatim 256gb micro SD card into (And copied my music over to).

The problem I have is I cannot connect the two together via USB. When plugged in the phone does charge, but I get an error message on the phone saying something like "Your devise cannot read information on the phone, try disconnecting and reconnecting your phone". Then the error message goes on to talk about downloading file transfer for MacOs and Windows. (Sorry I would have taken a screen capture, but I've yet to figure out how to do it!).
I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the phone (no luck), and I can set the phone up as Bluetooth, but I'd really like the extra features of it being hard wired (Album artwork, better control of playback, etc).

I'm thinking that it might be an issue between new/old Android Os? But being new to Android I'm unsure what to do next.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I know I am not going to be much help, but....

When the phone is connected with the USB cable, what kind of connection is it: charging, MTP, other?
(See the notification bar dropdown.)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Typically, Android phones have not supported those capabilities like iOS device have had. I think the closest you're going to get is Android Auto, but you'll need a radio that supports it.

You might get the radio to read the phone as a storage device, as implied by @ManiacJoe asking the question he did, but the phone won't charge at the same time.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The USB connection is for devices like mp3 players (like iPhones pretend to be in situations like that). If the radio has Bluetooth (which it should), unplug the USB cable and connect the phone to the radio via Bluetooth.

If you can't, you'll have to put all your music into the root folder of wherever you're storing it - internal (sdcard) or external (extSdCard). That might look enough like an mp3 player to work. And, as Joe said, the phone has to set to MP3 for the radio to see the files on the phone if you're using USB.