Pixel 2 No longer accesses ringtones I copied onto device

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I used to have some ringtones and notification sounds saved to my phone's MicroSD card; when I migrated to the Pixel 2 I just copied those files to the Main Storage on the device. They magically appeared in the list of available ringtones, and it worked flawlessly...until the Pie upgrade. Now it won't recognize any of the ringtones or notifications. They are still there on the device, but the Settings doesn't see them anymore. I assume it's probably a matter of allowing the proper permissions in the proper place, but I can't find it. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The sound files should be in the appropriate folders:
/Alarms
/Ringtones
/Notifications

One would think that internal storage vs SD card would not matter. That said, are the sounds found if they are put on the internal storage?

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The sound files should be in the appropriate folders:
/Alarms
/Ringtones
/Notifications

One would think that internal storage vs SD card would not matter. That said, are the sounds found if they are put on the internal storage?

You were correct - I just needed to copy the files over into the directories you mentioned, and they suddenly appeared on the notification/ringtones list. Apparently, that was a change in the folder structure and/or permissions during the upgrade to 9, or something.

Anyway, thanks for your help!