I somehow hit something and must have activated it. Had my phone for a year or better and now suddenly I've got Goole Assistant popping up all the time. I don't want it.

The instructions I find say, hold the home button. OK, I can do that.

At the top right tap More Settings... don't have that.

So how do I disable this?
    10-15-2018 02:18 PM
    Open your App Drawer, then tap the Google icon. Then tap the More menu button at the lower right, then Settings. Tap Settings again under Google Assistant. Tap the Assistant tab on the next screen, and scroll down to tap Phone. Now turn off the Google Assistant toggle switch.
    aliendough and evotz like this.
    10-15-2018 03:19 PM
    Many thanks!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-18-2018 11:28 AM
    Hmmm. At looks like Google closed that loophole. When I select the second settings Google launched a dialog advertising and encouraging me to select "full" Google Assistant experience. The choices available are "Turn On (full)" or "No Thanks". There is no longer an option to "turn off" (limited Google Assistant).
    Every day I have greater contempt for Google and the minions there that believe they are smarter and should make choices for me.
    11-02-2018 07:05 AM
    Hmmm. At looks like Google closed that loophole. When I select the second settings Google launched a dialog advertising and encouraging me to select "full" Google Assistant experience. The choices available are "Turn On (full)" or "No Thanks". There is no longer an option to "turn off" (limited Google Assistant).
    Every day I have greater contempt for Google and the minions there that believe they are smarter and should make choices for me.
    Welcome to the forums. What phone do you have? See if these steps work for you, go to settings - apps - advanced - default apps - assist & voice input - assist app - select none. This should disable the long press action on the home button.
    11-02-2018 07:17 AM