Basically how are most tech savvy people these days backing up their pics ?

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting a new phone soon. Correct me if I'm wrong but newer phones like the Note9/Galaxy phones only have a type-C connection, so how do people xfer their pics to their PC's ?

I like to back up my pics to my PC every so often. I have a older phone now which I use a USB cord to manually xfer the pics from my phone to the PC. My PC don't have a type-C connection.

Is using a cable of sorts sorta backwards these days for xfering pics from a phone to a PC for back up proposes ?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The other end of the USB-C cable for Samsungs is a standard USB-A connector. It plugs in to a PC.

Personally I just have Samsung Cloud enabled for backing up pics. I used to have it on OneDrive and being sent directly to PC through that, but it's full and haven't had the chance to clear it out yet so I could reenable that. Lol.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Okay but most people don't use a cable right ? They have the phone set up where it backs up automatically to a cloud ?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I think more and more people use cloud storage these days. Depending on the service you use it's quite simple to upload full resolution pictures and have them available on all your devices. You can even use different services if need it. Once in the cloud storage you can easily download the pictures to your computer and have a physical backup. Just remember to clear those pictures that you don't need anymore to avoid filling your free quota. I personally use Google Photos, and Drive for some specific files, and it works great.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I'm getting a new phone soon. Correct me if I'm wrong but newer phones like the Note9/Galaxy phones only have a type-C connection, so how do people xfer their pics to their PC's ?

I like to back up my pics to my PC every so often. I have a older phone now which I use a USB cord to manually xfer the pics from my phone to the PC. My PC don't have a type-C connection.

Is using a cable of sorts sorta backwards these days for xfering pics from a phone to a PC for back up proposes ?
I use Samsung and my 1.99 a month Google drive, and the SD card. Amazon also includes a bit of backup with the prime membership.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Okay but most people don't use a cable right ? They have the phone set up where it backs up automatically to a cloud ?

Yup. I still do a PC backup maybe once a month using the SmartSwitch PC tool because I want a bit of redundancy. You'll need the cable for that. But sometimes I do forget that. LOL.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Since the vast majority of my pictures come from my DSLRs, I just copy the photos from my phone to my PC using the USB cable or the wifi connection, then they are backed up with the DSLR photos. While I do have a few editing apps on the phone, all my serious photo editing happens on the computer.

My phone camera usage is obviously not the norm. I would expect most android users to be using Google Photos to backup their JPG files. Folks normally shooting DNG or other raw files may have additional cloud services involved.