Chrome Freezing After Software Update

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
I have a reasonably old (purchased early 2015) Moto G (first generation). It was basically running fine, but then a month ago or so I think it did some kind of software update. Since then, I've had a considerable problem with Chrome becoming unresponsive (after a minute or so, a box pops up telling me that it has become unresponsive and that I could either wait or close it). Does anyone know why this might be happening and what could be done about it? Thank you.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you already tried clearing the app cache/data for Chrome in the Settings>Apps​ menu?

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed response. I know this is a probably a stupid question, but where exactly do I find that? In my OS, when I go to Settings>Apps, all I see is a long list of apps. When I tap the three dots at the top, the only choices are "sort by size" and "reset app preferences." So, again, where is the option to clear the app cache? Thanks again.

RayRay226

Sep 27, 2018
Visit site
I am no expert, but the way I do it on my phone is go to Settings>Apps, then there is a long list of all the installed apps, from there find Chrome and click on it. Then there will probably be a page where it shows how much battery, storage, memory etc the app has used. Click on storage and it should give you two options right there clear data and clear cache. Hope I was clear and that method works for you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right -- Chrome should be in that long list of apps. You just have to scroll down and find it.

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Okay, sorry again for the delay in response. The good news, for anyone still reading this, is that I DID find Chrome listed among the apps, and then did, yes, clear the cache. The bad news, though, is that it didn't seem to fix the problem -- Chrome still freezes up on me fairly regularly. Is there any "Plan B" option anyone knows of? Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol