Google maps adds second app on my drawer

coniliakis

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello, has anyone ever seen this? Google maps installed an app that is separate/different app in drawer, settings and cache. Different interface and cant remove. (App is not in play store)

It feels clunkier like a web wrapper however and settings are also directing me to the web activity settings on google.

https://imgur.com/a/5cGPFil

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Which app shortcut are you tapping to give you that different interface -- the Maps one, or the Google Maps one?

The App Info page for Google Maps indicates that it's the one that came preinstalled on the phone, and therefore can't be removed -- only Disabled. It's likely that you created the other shortcut when you were on the Google Maps website on your Chrome browser. When I go to that site, a little prompt asks if I want to add a shortcut for the website on the homescreen. But you should be able to remove that shortcut easily.

EDIT: OK, I figured it out. When you go to the Google Maps website and create a shortcut for the site on the homescreen, it also creates a shortcut called "Google Maps" in the App Drawer. When I long-pressed Google Maps and tapped App Info, I got the option to Uninstall. That simply gets rid of the shortcut to the website. The main Google Maps app (which is called simply "Maps") remains.