Is there a good app for texting from a wifi only Galaxy Tab A? My senior mom has an old flip phone and no cell data service but likes to text and it is a royal PITA. She only texts from home so doesn't need a LTE connected smartphone. Is there a way to do this with the tablet? Can a text be made to appear to come from her existing phone number or would it require essentially signing up to a VoIP service with a new number?? I guess we could also get her a basic smartphone and just not get data service.
    11-20-2018 06:26 PM
    You can't text on wifi, that's a "telephone" function. You can find messaging apps that work by internet (wifi or LTE), but you both have to use the same app.
    11-20-2018 06:55 PM
    OK, thanks... I was afraid of that. I know SMS is a phone function I was hoping someone had an app/service that would port message traffic over from the Internet into SMS space somehow. Probably going to have to get her a phone after all. Good timing, it's the holidays!
    11-21-2018 05:06 AM
    Check with your telephone service carrier. Some of them have a website that lets you read and send SMS messages from your computer and tablets.
    11-21-2018 05:12 PM
    Why is there not delete field in these posts
    11-21-2018 05:20 PM
    OK, thanks... I was afraid of that. I know SMS is a phone function I was hoping someone had an app/service that would port message traffic over from the Internet into SMS space somehow. Probably going to have to get her a phone after all. Good timing, it's the holidays!

Wouldn't you be better off getting her to use the facebook messager?
    11-21-2018 05:22 PM
    Wouldn't you be better off getting her to use the facebook messager?
    Is it possible that not everyone uses that app? I don't know that anyone in my family uses it on a regular basis..
    11-22-2018 07:24 AM
    Is it possible that not everyone uses that app? I don't know that anyone in my family uses it on a regular basis..
    I hardly use it myself but given the only other alternative is buying a phone, I'd be trying it out since she owned a Galaxy Tab A.
    11-22-2018 10:40 AM
    Is there a good app for texting from a wifi only Galaxy Tab A? My senior mom has an old flip phone and no cell data service but likes to text and it is a royal PITA. She only texts from home so doesn't need a LTE connected smartphone. Is there a way to do this with the tablet? Can a text be made to appear to come from her existing phone number or would it require essentially signing up to a VoIP service with a new number?? I guess we could also get her a basic smartphone and just not get data service.
    Yes the very best is Pulse SMS available from Playstore. Works on tablets, PC, and data only phones. Well worth the small fee for the help it is.
    07-07-2019 04:25 AM