I've encountered this situation a few times in the past and just did so again today. Basically, I'll try to start up my phone, and at startup I'll get a message saying "optimizing apps" and then something like "1 out of 180." It does so, but takes several minutes. The problem is, like most people, I use this phone in large part for business, and if this ever happened at the wrong time it could cause huge problems for me.

Basically, how do I set it so that I have some control over when this happens, as opposed to it essentially choosing for me at seemingly random times? Also, if it DOES happen when I don't want it to, is there an emergency way to get out of it for now and still get the optimizations later? Thank you.
    12-04-2018 08:56 PM
    This might depend on the phone. For example, my Pixel 2 XL never updates the system automatically -- I always get a prompt. Which phone do you have?

Once the installation has begin, there's no way to abort it. When you first start the update, there is a short period of time where you can cancel it, but after that, you have to let it run.
    12-05-2018 02:31 AM
    I had this nightmare on a Moto G (1st gen, Lollipop 5.1).

IIRC this was a known bug with no solution. This occurred after powering the phone up, often during or after charging the phone but not exclusively.
    12-05-2018 02:55 AM
    Sizzers,

That's actually kind of hilarious. That's EXACTLY what I have!!! Guess that solves at least part of the problem. Well, it doesn't solve it, does it? But at least it explains it. And I guess it does, in that way, provide the resolution: get a new phone. Ugh.
    12-05-2018 01:48 PM