Network share access

RPMiller

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Here's another enterprise related question.

Does anyone know of a way to connect mobile devices, both iOS and android, to a network share so that the mobile device user can access network files and folders. This needs to be done only from the mobile device without a client computer in the middle of the connection.

RPMiller

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I realize it is sad to reply to my own questions, but I'll make this an additional question as well.

I found Astro File Manager and the additional Astro SMB add-on. These appear to work just fine; however, I also found a couple others that had reviews stating that users had problems with Astro. So, my additional question is, what is the best file manager that also supports SMB?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Overall, there's nothing wrong with Astro. Seems to be the most popular. There are always going to be people who have issues with apps.

Also check the products from Lysesoft.

Either one should suit your needs, although I'd shell out the extra bucks and get the Pro versions.

Whichever product, make sure all users use the same, Easier on the support staff to deal with only 1 specific product, and will provide better security measures.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
There are always going to be people who have issues with apps.
Bingo. You have to learn to read between the lines for reviews as well as take aggregate reviews rather than focus on specific complaints.

So, my additional question is, what is the best file manager that also supports SMB?
Based on what criteria? Best is always a highly subjective word (regardless of topic) and it's fairly meaningless when it isn't qualified. What you're thinking of as "best" may not be what the next person is thinking of.

I always suggest doing some first hand testing with the options. You can read all you want and still not find what's best suited to you until you do some test driving.