Phone updated to android 9. Since then when i am driving i no longer he notifications. Was working fine before update so obviously something has changed since the update.
    I was driving the other day daughter sent message. I arrived home had no idea she had messaged half hour earlier.

Ps. for those who want to say you shoudlnt sms and drive I dont. But if I hear a message come through I can at least pull over and view it. But if I dont know its coming through well.
    Pss. Can google please look at how windows phone handle hands free sms and adopt that. Surely they have the smarts.
    01-12-2019 03:40 AM
    Have you set a special sound for your daughter's SMS, or is it the default SMS sound?

Pss. I'm not sure Google is following this forum.
    01-12-2019 04:25 AM
    no nothing special happens to all msgs that was just an example..

PSS.. they should haha
    01-12-2019 04:34 AM
    Go to Settings, Notifications and check that they are correct. In the future, you can initiate and respond to text messages with Google voice. Say Okay Google, send a text message. Good luck.
    01-13-2019 08:26 AM
    There are no longer tone-per-contact, now it's just one notification tone for all messages, so

1. Check that you have a tone selected for notifications (in Settings), And that it's not some number - that would indicate that whatever sound file you had chosen before is no longer on the phone, so select another one.

2. Check that you have notification sound enabled in your SMS app.

3. Make sure that your Notifications volume is all the way up.

4. (SMS notification tones will probably not come through Bluetooth, only through the phone's speaker, so you may be missing them.)

And

5. We're not Google. We can't fix anything. And the odds of Google checking the forum are pretty small. Use Feedback (in Settings) to notify them.
    01-13-2019 03:02 PM
    1. I have never set individual tones for any user. This has only changed sine the pie update

2. I use default messaging app that came with the phone. I get notification sounds when getting sms unless connected to my car .

3. Volume is up all the way

4. I dont get them while in the car and the phone is paired to it. So if i am in the car listening to the radio which i often do. or using usb stick again which i often do, I dont get the notification sound. I need to be looking at my phone to see it light up. But obviously I am driving I dont want to do that. My car has an option for BT streaming and if i am set to this yes i hear the notifictaion. But most times I dont BT stream. prefer radio.
    How ever it is looked at this only changed when my phone upgraded to 9.0
    01-15-2019 10:23 PM