I have MetroPCS / T-Mobile and regularly have full signal or 4 bars, but get CRAZY slow speeds, like 0.20 mbps down or less. Issue has been going on for over a year on and off.

Support of course, has been no help. "Network tested. No problem found." And they actually suggested I use WiFi instead as a solution.

If I toggle airplane mode on and off or go into the secret Device Info settings and change the preferred network type back and forth, sometimes the problem goes away. Even if I choose "LTE only" I still get these lousy speeds a lot and it's a pain.

Can anyone suggest what might be the actual problem, and recommend tools to monitor, track down and fix the issue?

I live in a major metropolitan area with a "good signal."

While I appreciate your help, please do not suggest I change carriers or take the phone to the store.

Galaxy J3 prime on Android 7.0 not rooted
    01-13-2019 01:36 PM
    Maybe the "bars" icon is, uh, fibbing just a bit?
    01-13-2019 01:48 PM
    Maybe the network (TMobile) is crowded - MetroPCS will get throttled down to nothing before any TMobile customers get throttled.
    01-13-2019 02:57 PM
    Thanks for your reply. Maybe. But 0.20 mbps or less is wow a bit much. Also, it often happens at what seem like very off-peak times usually in a handful of the same physical locations. Any ideas on how to verify the specifics of where the bottleneck is? Also, I have connected to t-mobile's APNs and gotten the same result. They wouldn't know I'm a Metro customer but it could be throttling anyway.
    01-13-2019 03:07 PM
    Thanks for your reply. Maybe. But 0.20 mbps or less is wow a bit much. Also, it often happens at what seem like very off-peak times usually in a handful of the same physical locations. Any ideas on how to verify the specifics of where the bottleneck is? Also, I have connected to t-mobile's APNs and gotten the same result. They wouldn't know I'm a Metro customer but it could be throttling anyway.
    Since it happens at the same locations, that's a good clue. With another phone on the same network, in the same spots, see if it still occurs. If yes, though you have bars, you are getting signal interference at those locations, could be due to a number of things in your surroundings.
    01-13-2019 03:26 PM
    Thanks. Is it possible to have a full signal and that crazy low of a speed? My guess is that my phone is connected to a non Metro / T-mobile tower at these times, which is why renegotiating the signal sometimes fixes it. Any way I can tell what tower or network I'm connected to and control it? Asking a bit much, I know.
    01-13-2019 05:52 PM
    Yes, there are apps in the playstore that show tower /repeater locations. That by itself may not solve the problem. You state you're in a major metro area, so interference could be from a non cell source. Could be in NYC you're standing above a power transfer station which is 30 ft below, for example. Good luck. Post your result.
    01-14-2019 05:54 AM
    Any recommendations on apps?

I say I'm in a metro area so as to explain no, I'm not out in the country with no signal. But not super dense urban environment like NYC.
    01-16-2019 03:53 PM