Shattered old G5s Plus, replaced glass/digitizer but now have a dead spot so device sort of works. Bought identical XT1806, (4gig RAM, 64gig storage). Backed up old phone with Google. Tried to set up new phone by using old phone Backup via setup Wizard, accepting all defaults. Nothing occurred. Reset to factory and repeated, same result.

Tried phone to phone wireless restore, that at least returns a message, 2 different Android versions. Old is on 8.1.1, new is on 7.1.1 and reports that it is up to date when try to manually update. SIM is still in old phone, new connected only via WiFi. Any ideas on how to force update on new phone so I can proceed?

Also tried running ShareIT app on both, can't get past the wireless hot spot setup on the new device.

Motorola chat support was pretty much useless, telling me to try what already has not worked. Thank you for any assistance. - John
    ****UPDATE-After activating on Verizon, I was able to download all the updates to get the new phone to the same Android/Patch level as the old. Just in case anyone else runs into this situation.
    01-14-2019 09:37 PM