I ordered some screen protectors and a case for my husband's phone from Amazon. I know that before I can put on a screen protector, the phone screen must be clean of fingerprints and smudges.

I wiped off both of our phone screens with a microfiber cloth and blew them off with canned air. On one phone there's a smudge that won't come off.

Can I use straight rubbing alcohol to clean the screen? Should I just use filtered water? I want to be sure I don't damage it. Thanks for any advice.
    01-20-2019 06:24 PM
    I moved this from the General News forum to the General Help forum. The former is intended more for discussions about what's happening in tech news.

Dampening the cloth with a little bit of water is often all you need to do -- don't apply the water directly to the screen. Alcohol is probably fine as well, but you have to be careful, in case the device has some special coating on the screen that might be affected by alcohol. Definitely do not use Windex or any other cleaning fluid intended for household use.
    TechTimid likes this.
    01-20-2019 06:33 PM
    Thanks for moving my thread and thank you for your advice. I'll just use the water on the cloth method.
    01-20-2019 06:42 PM
    The new screen protectors come with a cleaning kit to use before applying the protector.
    B. Diddy and TechTimid like this.
    01-20-2019 06:43 PM
    Also keep in mind that what looks like a smudge that can't be wiped off might be a superficial scratch on the screen.
    01-20-2019 07:03 PM
    I use lens cleaner and soft cloth...
    01-20-2019 07:51 PM
    I ordered some screen protectors and a case for my husband's phone from Amazon. I know that before I can put on a screen protector, the phone screen must be clean of fingerprints and smudges.

I wiped off both of our phone screens with a microfiber cloth and blew them off with canned air. On one phone there's a smudge that won't come off.

Can I use straight rubbing alcohol to clean the screen? Should I just use filtered water? I want to be sure I don't damage it. Thanks for any advice.
    I use Jacques Briochin universal glass/screen cleaner (I even have a 750ml bottle of it...) and a non-abrasive super soft "screen-cloth". This combo is the BEST.
    01-21-2019 02:32 AM
    Thanks for all your replies and advice!
    B. Diddy and milleniumdroid like this.
    01-21-2019 02:43 PM
    Well, had to come back and mention something that I only realized when I was putting on the screen protectors on our phones.....the protective plastic that was there when I bought the phone was still on. Duh! Pleased anyway to see both screens were still cherry, not a smudge or scratch on them.
    01-28-2019 10:13 PM
    Use any screen protector liquids, this will not affect your screen...
    02-14-2019 04:06 AM
    Folow these steps:

Here's how to get your smartphone screen nice and clean:
    As a safety measure, remove your phone's battery. ...
    Wipe the screen gently with the dry cloth. ...
    If a dry cloth doesn't do the job, you'll need to use a wet one--and that can be tricky. ...
    Put the liquid into a spray bottle, and spray it onto the microfiber cloth.
    02-19-2019 10:35 PM
    To help you take proper care of your precious device’s display of your smartphone or tablet, I have listed below some of the best ways possible to clean a touchscreen display:

1. Use Microfiber cloth

2. The Cleaning kits

3. A Liquid screen protector and cleaner

4. A protective case
    05-29-2019 08:54 AM
    spit n my tee-shirt work good for me lol
    07-14-2019 04:38 PM
    spit n my tee-shirt work good for me lol

07-15-2019 01:50 PM