On my phone under Settings (Network and Internet), I have my home WIFI set to "On". Should the WIFI always be set to on?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of having the WIFI on or off?
    01-21-2019 04:10 PM
    I rarely turn my wifi off. Only if I'm away from trusted networking. WiFi does consume some battery, but not enough to make a difference to me. I don't see any harm in leaving it always on.
    TechTimid likes this.
    01-21-2019 04:29 PM
    Thanks for your reply kmFl.
    01-21-2019 06:09 PM
    If you have a strong internet connection at home and using WiFi will save you mobile data and usually it's faster too.
    You will have a good password and monitor the modem to make sure nobody else is trying to freeload or worse of course.
    I never connect to any WiFi network outside like cafes, airports, shopping centres etc tho... These places can pose security and privacy threats. I have WiFi off when out and about. Ditto for Bluetooth.
    TechTimid likes this.
    01-21-2019 06:23 PM
    On my phone under Settings (Network and Internet), I have my home WIFI set to "On". Should the WIFI always be set to on?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of having the WIFI on or off?
    No, it's not good. Also make sure you have continuous wifi scanning off and visibility off. Turn off aggressive wifi handoff if it's on. If you have unlimited data and a good signal, use it. You'll save battery and be secure by 1 extra layer that you don't need to use. You will save quite a bit of battery. Turn off your GPS and Bluetooth while you're at it. Clear your cache partition and reboot once a week. Have fun
    01-21-2019 07:22 PM
    Thanks, so I guess for security reasons I'm better off having the WIFI set to off, so I don't have to worry about turning it off when I'm out and about. I'm not sure about monitoring my home modem, etc. for freeloaders or hackers.

I see that the phone default for Portable WIFI Hotspot is already set to off, I'll leave it that way. I don't really plan to sit in a public business and use their WIFI if I don't absolutely have to.

Honestly, I don't plan to be on the phone that much.
    01-22-2019 02:35 PM
    When at home or at work, wifi is always on.

When out and about, I manually turn off the wifi so that the phone is not constantly scanning looking for a wifi network. Saves on battery and is more secure. How much is open for debate.

When I get somewhere and want to use that wifi network I will manually turn on the wifi, then back off when I leave.
    TechTimid and Mojave like this.
    01-24-2019 04:19 AM