We sometimes go camping out in the woods where there's none or poor radio reception. Many years ago we had a satellite cell phone that was able to be used in a remote camp spot.

In recent years though, we only shared a prepaid Tracfone, which was never used to go on the internet and would never have a signal out in the woods.

I was wondering if I took my new smartphone out into the woods, and did have a signal where I was in range to use the phone for a phone call....would I also always be able to connect to the internet during those times?

Is there ever a time where you have a phone signal and can make a call, but you don't have any internet access on the phone?
    01-22-2019 03:07 PM
    Nope. While the phone can use a myriad of signals (depending on the towers available and your specific phone model) for voice calls, data will always depend on the tower's support on the frequency you're connected to. So you MIGHT have a signal that allows for voice calls, but not one that also allows for data (you'd only see the signal strength bars, but no data indicator).

Same goes for emergency calls: your phone might be able to connect to a tower that allows emergency calls, but not for 'full' voice calls/data.
    Tim1954, TechTimid and B. Diddy like this.
    01-22-2019 04:05 PM
    Emergency calls, by law in the US, must be handled by any cellphone tower, even if the phone isn't registered, is blacklisted, or stolen or something else. Life comes first. As long as the phone can connect to the tower, 911 will get you the police or emergency dispatcher, whatever the setup is where you are.

As for data, if you have voice, you probably have data - LTE Discovery will tell you if you do. (Satellite is different - as long as the tree cover isn't too dense, you get voice and data - the "tower" is about 23,000 miles over your head.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-22-2019 04:22 PM
    Thank you both for the info, much appreciated.
    B. Diddy and SpookDroid like this.
    01-22-2019 09:03 PM
    A little off topic...if there are no cell phone signals or WIFI available, will a GPS walking app still measure your distance and map your trail on satellite images on your phone?
    04-27-2019 07:06 PM
    A little off topic...if there are no cell phone signals or WIFI available, will a GPS walking app still measure your distance and map your trail on satellite images on your phone?
    I've never tried it, but I don't think you'll have any problem. You may have to load the map first while you have a data connection.
    TechTimid likes this.
    04-28-2019 12:17 PM
    Hiya, Yes the GPS will map your walk without a phone signal, you won't see a map of your walk until you return to your home WiFi or get a phone signal. The walk is mapped and then overlaid onto Google maps.
    TechTimid likes this.
    04-28-2019 01:13 PM
    Yes as long as you can find satellites. You should use a GPS app that allows you to preload maps. Most of them these days do.
    TechTimid likes this.
    04-28-2019 01:34 PM
    Thanks Belodian, Kodak2 and Mike Dee for your map advice, much appreciated.
    05-20-2019 06:34 PM
    05-20-2019 08:46 PM