Galaxy Tab A, E, or S2? Which smaller tablet to purchase?

sledgehammer

Aug 28, 2017
Visit site
I am in the market to replace my string of dead Android tabs with something newer.

Having stripped my phone of all unessential applications (90) to just the basics, there are times when travelling or just relaxing that I want access to some of those apps. Having killed my 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7s and my EGA Tegra tablet a while ago, I need recommendations for another small tablet. Something that would fit into a coat pocket.

It would be handy to have cell data, but not a deal killer. Current Android or ability to upgrade to a current version would be needed.

In looking around, I see the Asus models, the Amazon tablets, and the Samsung tablets. As I have an S7, I'm inclined to go with one of theirs, but could be swayed to another manufacturer. But between the Galaxy Tab A, Tab E, or S2 from Samsung, what would be the better one? The S2 has better specs but of course at a higher price. The E offers cell connectivity and the A has the latest Android of them all.

Trying to stay below $300, btw.

Thanks in advance!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Tab S2 does have the best specs, but it was released in 2015 and will never officially get updated past Android Nougat. The newest version of the A has cell connectivity as well, specs aren't as good as the Tab S2 but it has more modern software. It also has a 16:9 screen aspect which in my opinion is a lot easier to pocket than the 4:3 screens and their better for media.

Personally I lean towards the newer one, but if you need the best performance possible for games/apps or the higher resolution screen is important the Tab S2 is probably the better buy.

I would look into Hauwei before you make a decision, they are about the only ones making an Android tablet to compete with Samsung these days, and I've heard good things about their 8 inch models.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd also suggest the Lenovo Tab 4 8", which I got for my daughter. It goes for $129 retail, and has pretty decent specs. It won't compete with a flagship device, but my daughter can play Minecraft on it without any big problems. Screen is crisp and bright, and there are stereo front-facing speakers, so it's good for media consumption. It only comes as a 16 GB version, but it does have a microSD slot (and it supports Adoptable Storage, although I'm not sure how well it's implemented). The device was released with Nougat, but just got updated to Oreo in November, which was a pleasant surprise.

The larger 10" Tab 4 goes for about $149, and you can probably check it out at your local Best Buy. More or less the same specs.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'd also suggest the Lenovo Tab 4 8", which I got for my daughter. It goes for $129 retail, and has pretty decent specs. It won't compete with a flagship device, but my daughter can play Minecraft on it without any big problems. Screen is crisp and bright, and there are stereo front-facing speakers, so it's good for media consumption. It only comes as a 16 GB version, but it does have a microSD slot (and it supports Adoptable Storage, although I'm not sure how well it's implemented). The device was released with Nougat, but just got updated to Oreo in November, which was a pleasant surprise.

The larger 10" Tab 4 goes for about $149, and you can probably check it out at your local Best Buy. More or less the same specs.

The 8" tab (refurb) is on woot for $89. I should have waited but it's still a solid tablet for $100 (what I paid new)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The 8" tab (refurb) is on woot for $89. I should have waited but it's still a solid tablet for $100 (what I paid new)

I saw that too, and in fact ordered another as a replacement for my mother's ancient Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4! I'm tempted to get one for myself to replace my 2013 Nexus 7 as well ...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad