I have the Moto E5 Play, and plan to register with Google for an account this weekend. I thought I had to tap on the microphone icon for the phone to listen to me.

Today, I said 'ok google' and did not tap the microphone, and I got a page that told me to sign into google assistant. So, I'm assuming the phone heard me, is that true?

Is the phone always listening and perhaps recording your voice? Is there a way to turn off the microphone if you really don't plan to use that feature?
    01-26-2019 10:38 AM
    There has been a lot of discussion about this on android central, Jerry has written some great articles about this. The short version is yes, the device is listening and unless you disable the ok google function and deny permission to use the microphone, it will continue to listen.
    It has to on order to function. And despite denials by Google et al, I've heard many accounts of ppl chatting about new cars at home with the phone just sitting there and suddenly they get lots of car ads... You trade privacy for convenience
    TechTimid likes this.
    01-26-2019 11:06 PM
    Thanks Tim, I'll disable it if I figure out how to do it. I think I'll just be typing a text if I need to instead of speaking it, or typing my searches into the google bar like I've done for years.
    01-27-2019 09:47 AM
    Thanks Tim, I'll disable it if I figure out how to do it. I think I'll just be typing a text if I need to instead of speaking it, or typing my searches into the google bar like I've done for years.
    There are, at least, two different ways to disable the OK Google detection. One is disabling the assistant in the Google app settings (that's what I did) and the other one is going deeper in the app permissions (maybe a bit too much, but ...) Take a look here.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...android-phone/
    TechTimid likes this.
    01-27-2019 08:41 PM
    Also, if you want to stop the Google assistant being triggered when you long press the home button go to settings - apps & notifications - advanced - default apps - assist & voice input - tap assist app and select none.
    01-27-2019 08:52 PM
    Thank you Javier, I appreciate your advice and will have a look at the link you provided.
    01-28-2019 10:16 AM