Hi,
    Just browsing to see if any apps have permissions they shouldn't have.
    I found something like "6 apps" that had SMS permissions and looked which ones that would be. Now for "messaging" I understand the requirement. And Whatsapp needs to verify my phone's identity with an SMS in the beginning. I revoked that.

But I get a "things my stop working" warning when I try to disable it for
    "google play store", "google play services" and "Google".

I have now gone ahead and disabled their permission to see what happens. This leaves "contacts and dialler" and "messaging" with SMS permissions. Seems legit.
    02-12-2019 06:56 AM
    Google Play Services is integral to any Google service, and is also important for many 3rd party apps, so it needs virtually all permissions. Think of Play Services as a system app, rather than something only used by Google Play apps.
    02-12-2019 11:06 AM
    I deny all permissions to that app and it works fine...
    02-12-2019 02:59 PM
    Hmm, that's interesting. I guess if it ends up needing a permission, you'll always be able to turn it on if you're so inclined.
    Tim1954 likes this.
    02-12-2019 05:18 PM
    1. Play Store AFAIK is for carrier billing. You can use your carrier credits to pay for apps, if the carrier supports it. It sends through your number AFAIK.
    2. Google Play Services is more of a framework. Let's say an app wants to do something via SMS, but the developer instead of making his own SMS code, just hooks it up to Google Play Services's SMS thingy. As long as you don't have an app that goes through Google Play Services for an SMS permission, you're find with disabling it and will just ask you to reenable it when you do something that needs it.
    This also ensures cross version compatibility. Basically on any phone that will run the latest version of Play Services, regardless of Android version, the services that the apps hook to Play Services will work.
    Permissions are generally safe to disable, the phone will ask you to reenable it when you try to do something that needs that permission.
    B. Diddy and Rukbat like this.
    02-12-2019 07:19 PM
    Might be related to the 2 step verification process since Google sends an SMS.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-12-2019 10:48 PM
    Might be related to the 2 step verification process since Google sends an SMS.
    Very good point -- although everyone should be using a 2nd factor other than SMS (like the Authenticator app) due to the poorer security with SMS 2-factor.
    Rukbat likes this.
    02-13-2019 12:56 AM
    I think if you deny all permissions to that app it can help.
    02-19-2019 11:40 PM