Editing Facebook Contacts, Other Contacts Questions

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Preface--Background, Posts I've Searched/Started

Note: before I begin, I DID search the threads and also the "General Tips & Tricks" (link) and I also sometime back posted a thread of my own as well (link).

Basically, I do understand contacts okay for the most part, but there is some confusion, especially where it regards editing Facebook contacts.

I have been using a 2.2 device lately--right now I'm "hobbling around" on an old Blackberry, I sold my Samsung Captivate which I had for 3 months (if I got one more "GPS Signal Lost" message, I was going to use it as my personal baseball bat!), but am looking to comeback to Android via the Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile when it is announced (or I may get the LG Optimus V if the Motorola announcement drives its price down--most likely, though, I'm going to get the Triumph). Once I return, I would like some extra clarity so I will be ready when that times comes. Also, I have a friend who just came to Android from iOS & I am trying to help this friend.

Anyway.

What I Already Know

I did derive clarity with this one key issue: your GMail contacts needs to be the "headquarters" of your contacts. So back when I first got my Captivate, I started "clean" with the phone, I created my contacts in my GMail contacts ("My Contacts" as opposed to "Other" or "most" etc, I hand-entered them while viewing my old phone's screen), I cleaned all of that up on the PC, then when my Captivate asked me for my GMail/Google login, voila--it sucked all of those contacts in cleanly. Then, to make sure this "2 way sync" stayed this way, so that changes at the PC went to the phone, and any new additions/changes etc at the phone synced to the GMail contacts, under the Menu...Settings section I specified that new contacts should be saved to the Google/GMail account, as opposed to the phone's SIM card or whatever.

So far, so good.

With Facebook friends, once I did the "get friends" deal (press Menu, it's there), then all my Facebook friends were in the contacts. Also, any names that were duplicates, meaning they were a GMail contact AS WELL as a Facebook friend/contact, I "joined" them (makes them a single entry with all data merged together).

Again, so far so good. If, say, "Jane Doe" is a GMail contact and is also a Facebook friend, but the Facebook friend portion doesn't have their phone number but the GMail portion does, it's there--as one entry. So far, I understand all of this.

What I Need Help With

This is where things get confusing. Sorry for the extreme level of detail & the length of this posting.

If I have someone as a Facebook contact ONLY, how do I edit the contact? Several people, including my friend, tell me they have difficulty with editing the contact if it's a 100% Facebook contact. How do you do this?

In my case, it happened to be that any Facebook contact I wished to edit happened to also be a GMail contact, a "joined" entry, so adding their phone number/mailing address etc was easy, that became part of the GMail contact data. If someone wishes to be able to edit a Facebook entry, do they need to create a GMail contact entry for this person, "join" it, and then do their edits there--or can you just edit the Facebook contact "straight" as-is?

Also, if someone who is a Facebook friend--and there are NO "joined" Gmail entries associated with the Facebook contact entry--has their phone number in their info, but they change it, does the Facebook contact update to it? If they simply remove their phone number, does your Facebook contact also remove the phone number?

On the other hand, if you have a Facebook contact entry "joined" with a matching GMail contact, you enter their phone number in that entry manually, and they subsequently change their phone number or remove it, wouldn't you still have it since you've entered it yourself with it being a GMail "joined" contact? What if you have entered the phone number manually in the Gmail contact entry, they have their OWN phone number as part of their Facebook account & it sucks that number in--how do you tell which one you entered as part of the GMail side vs the one it sucked in as part of the Facebook side, if this is a "joined" entry?

Sorry for all the detailed questions, but I do appreciate the help--again, I have done much reading & researching to understanding contacts, and do understand the basic principle of GMail contacts being the "main headquarters" of it all, but am confused with the integration of Facebook into it as I've described.

LRH

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You're right., way too much info. We can skip the crackberry stuff, Iphone stuff,,, and,,, ahem,,,, symbian.

Seems, the big and only question is, will your FB GM HM and virtually every other type contact, automatically reflect any changes in phone numbers/info/DOB, etc,,,

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You're right., way too much info. We can skip the crackberry stuff, Iphone stuff,,, and,,, ahem,,,, symbian.

Seems, the big and only question is, will your FB GM HM and virtually every other type contact, automatically reflect any changes in phone numbers/info/DOB, etc,,,

Ha ha, yeah, sorry for overdoing it.

Yes, the basic questions are these:

(1) How do you edit a Facebook contact? Does it require one to create a matching GMail account, "join" them, and then do your submissions to that? Or can you just flat-out edit the Facebook contact as is?

(2) If you have a contact that is a "join" between a Facebook contact & a GMail contact, how do you determine what information you entered on the GMail side vs what was "pulled in" on the Facebook side?

(3) If you have a "join" between a Facebook & GMail contact, what information stays as-is no matter what the Facebook user changes, vs what changes as the Facebook user submits edits to their info?

LRH

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12