I attempted to download an app on my LG G2 recently. When I tapped on the Google play icon, it no longer launches, I just get a blank white screen.

I took my phone to the Verizon store, and they said "something" is interfering with GP and not letting it launch. They suggested I delete any number of apps already downloaded to see if any of them are the culprit.

They then informed me that my phone is so old, that a new phone would certainly solve my problem...of course!

Has anyone got any ideas why, all of a sudden, my GP app is no longer responding, and what I might do to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance!!
    02-15-2019 06:32 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Just to be clear -- are you talking about the Google Play Store app? If so, go to Settings>Apps, select the Play Store, then Clear Cache/Clear Data. Now see if it opens.
    02-16-2019 01:54 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Just to be clear -- are you talking about the Google Play Store app? If so, go to Settings>Apps, select the Play Store, then Clear Cache/Clear Data. Now see if it opens.
    Thanks BD, I selected settings as you instructed. I did not find "Apps", but did find Applications manager. When I selected that, it popped up on my screen for a couple of seconds, and then it goes blank, or, it reverts back to my home screen?

I'm not able to even scroll through the list of apps on the mgmt. screen, let alone try to find a clear cache option.

It appears my phone has a mind of its own these days?
    02-16-2019 10:12 PM
    The Verizon rep wasn't completely wrong. Given the age of that phone, it's only a matter of time before it's no longer usable. Either from a hardware failure, or becoming a major headache due to not having the performance to keep up. It's also no longer supported, so you're not going to get anymore OS updates or patches for it.

This is one of those few cases where I would also agree with just biting the bullet and upgrading the phone. It's not that an upgrade would solve the problem per se, but that it's just not worth it find a solution.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-17-2019 12:08 AM
    Mooncatt makes a very good point. The only other thing I'd suggest before abandoning the phone would be to see if the problem persists in Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-32897. This can tell you if the problem is due to an app you installed vs the system or the hardware.
    02-17-2019 01:36 AM
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I appreciate your help and suggestions. I think it is time to upgrade, I'll probably be glad I did afterwards anyhow.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-21-2019 04:17 PM