Contact Visibiliy and Linked Profiles

rich7765

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I appreciate these are really basic questions, but I really can not find the answers; I can find answers for really complicated stuff that includes this stuff, but not the basics.

First problem....
I have a Motorola Defy phone. Every contact in it has the following :-

- A phone number
- Contact visibility
- Contact List Not hidden
- Social Activity None
- Linked profiles (1)
MOTOBLUR: <entry name>

Some entries have multiple Linked profile entries.

My questions are :-

1/ What IS "contact visibility"? What does "not hidden" mean? Hidden from what/who?
2/ What do the "contact list" and "social activity" entries mean? Is this something to do with Facebook or something? (which I do not and have never used by thw way)
3/ What IS a Linked Profile? What is it "linked" to?
4/ How do I "unlink" it? Should I "unlink" it?

Second problem....
Some time ago, I reluctantly created a Motoblur account. I only did it so that I could check for software updates; I don't want to actually use it for anything.

I just noticed that the phone has a Google account defined. I have no idea when this got created - I didn't create it. And it seems I can't delete it without doing a factory reset and wiping out eveything on the phone! What is this all about?

The thing that worries me about the Google account is that it was set up (unkown to me) with "Sync calendar", "sync contacts" and "sync google mail". I have now de-selected all these

My questions are :-

5/ Have my contacts etc been uploaded (synced) to this mystery account on Google now?
6/ If so, how can I remove this stuff from Google? I don't want ANYTHING on my phone synced or backed-up to anything.
7/ Any ideas how to delete the Motoblur account (which I never wanted anwyay)? It is "locked" so "delete" seems not to be available.
8/ Can I delete the Google account without it re-instating itself again. I don't want it. I don't like it and have no use for it; I don't use google mail, or google calendar or google anything else, and have no wish to.

I realise this is a bit of a shopping list, but thanks in advance

regards

Rich.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll answer the non-Motoblur stuff, since I've never used it.

If you've unsynced contacts from Google, they should be gone. If you're paranoid about it, I think you can make a backup, resync, delete them (they should delete from Google too), unsync, and restore the backup. Calendar should be the same way. Mail is only for Gmail, so you don't have to worry about it.

As for how it got there, it's a completely manual process. Either you put it on there, or someone at the store set it up for you (which, if they did, they SHOULD have given you the password. Not doing so is ridiculous). If you do do a factory reset, you'll be rid of it, but you won't have access to the Market (your apps are tied to your Gmail account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007