How Do I move Contacts From Phone to Gmail?

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So I was smart enough to add all my contacts in Gmail first and then just have it sync to my phone. No problem. But now I have added phone numbers of people as I got them on the phone, but they don't show up in my Contacts on Gmail. How do I get them there?

Also, I have a Thunderbolt, so how do I tell if the contacts are saved on Gmail, the phone, or the SIM card?

RigelX

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
That's a good question.
I have noticed that if you click to edit the contact, there are two entries for the phone number... one for "phone" and one for "Google", and they are linked. Numbers that I add on the phone don't show up in my contact list with gmail unless I add them there on the phone, though when I add numbers on my computer at gmail.com, they sync up with the phone's contact list.
Addresses added on the phone don't even seem to have an option to save to google.

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

SMBlvr

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
So I was smart enough to add all my contacts in Gmail first and then just have it sync to my phone. No problem. But now I have added phone numbers of people as I got them on the phone, but they don't show up in my Contacts on Gmail. How do I get them there?

Also, I have a Thunderbolt, so how do I tell if the contacts are saved on Gmail, the phone, or the SIM card?

Go to the People app (which is the all contact list) on your Thunderbolt then select Menu, View and you see under the options tab how many are stored on GOOGLE, SIM, & PHONE.

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Go into settings > accounts > Sync and you'll have the option to sync all apps connected to Google. Contacts is one of them.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
When you create a contact on your phone, be sure to select Google as the contact type (the alternative and default is Phone). You will soon see it automatically populate your Google contacts online the next time it syncs automatically.

If you selected Phone as the contact type, not to worry it still sync'd to your google account, however you won't see it by default in your contact list online. They'll be stored under Other Contacts on the contacts page.

To move contacts you stored as Phone type into your normal Google Contacts, go to your Gmail page online -> click on Contacts -> click on Other Contacts -> tick the checkbox for any contacts you want to be normal contacts -> click the Groups dropdown menu -> select My Contacts group. This in effect changes the contact type from Phone to Google.

nycz_illest

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Go into settings > accounts > Sync and you'll have the option to sync all apps connected to Google. Contacts is one of them.

Thanks. So I tried that, and nothing happened. I'm guessing because the phone numbers I have saved on the phone don't sync because they are on the phone and not to Google. So once I figure out how to move the contact from Phone to Google, then it will sync.

When you create a contact on your phone, be sure to select Google as the contact type (the alternative and default is Phone). You will soon see it automatically populate your Google contacts online the next time it syncs automatically.

Thanks for all of this. But since I have already saved that contact to the phone, where is the option to select whether to have it as a contact on the Phone or Google? I can't find the option to change it to Google.

If you selected Phone as the contact type, not to worry it still sync'd to your google account, however you won't see it by default in your contact list online. They'll be stored under Other Contacts on the contacts page.

So I went to online to my Gmail account to Other Contacts, and there weren't any phone numbers...just emails. I just added 3 people this past week, and none of their names or phone numbers appeared here or in my regular Contacts section on Gmail. The only place they are found are on my phone, and as mentioned above, I don't know how to move them to Google (yet).

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Unless your phone will allow you to export the phone contacts so you can import them into your Google account you'll probably need to rekey them.

Phone contacts will not sync despite the misinformation above. They are only local to your device. Other contacts will only sync with the account with which they are associated.

I'm not sure how you select the contact type. I do have 2 accounts on my device but my Exchange account is only accessed via Touchdown so my only option for new contacts (in Contacts) is the Google contact type.

psxjunky

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to know how to move contacts that are already on the phone but NOT in the google account, from the phone to the google account. I can do export from the phone and then import the file into google, but export seems to export EVERYTHING ... including my existing Google contacts that the phone shows.

There has to be an easier way to move just the few contacts that are already on the phone, to my google account. Is there an app that does this?

fafaec

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Here is the easiest way.

Open Contacts
Then Hit the Menu options
And in there choose Merge with google

Select the google account you want all the contacts to merge with and voila!

Hope it helps you, it helped me!

jnatkins

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
go to contacts
select menu
select contacts to display
select device (if thats where the contacts you want to move have been saved)
select menu
select import/export
select export to sd card
select import from sd card
select the google account to save contacts to

REJOICE ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Nick Kozloski

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
If you have only one contact that you want to merge from your phone to your Google account, follow these instructions:

[*]Open People or Contacts
[*]Find the contact you want to merge and select that contact.
[*]Select "Share namecard via."
[*]Select "Gmail."
[*]Email the contact to yourself.
[*]Then import the contact into your Google contacts by clicking on the Vcard, or .vcf file.
[*]After you have imported the contact, you can open them and change their group from "Imported on *date*" to whichever group you see fit.
After I have move the contact from the Imported group, I usually delete that "Imported on *date*" group.

Dudi Slapochnik

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Wasn't in my "Other Contacts" group. :/

I found an easy way, just export all contacts as vcf to your USB storage (on my galaxy s4 you just press the menu button while your in contacts and press export) and then import that same same file again, it won't double any contacts you have already an will add them all to gmail contacts!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance