Update Unsuccessful

CmHall9

Mar 16, 2011
www.facebook.com
Every so often I will get an error message "update unsuccessful" after and app has been downloaded. I have plenty of memory, I've restarted the phone and cleared the markets cache.
Any ideas?

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Every so often I will get an error message "update unsuccessful" after and app has been downloaded. I have plenty of memory, I've restarted the phone and cleared the markets cache.
Any ideas?

I've ran into this problem a few times, it's pretty annoying. Sometimes it happens when the update a dev has pushed doesn't upload right to the Google servers (if I'm not mistaken). One thing I notice works for me when my Market is acting weird, I go clear data and cache....lets it start fresh. You'll just have to accept the TOS again. Don't worry, it'll repopluate the "My Apps" page of the Market with all the apps you have installed on your device. Quick question...are you running any sort of custom ROM?

CmHall9

Mar 16, 2011
www.facebook.com
I've discovered that apps on the SD will not update. They have to be on the phones internal memory. That kind of sucks, having to move apps back and fourth between the SD card and phone when updating.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I've discovered that apps on the SD will not update. They have to be on the phones internal memory. That kind of sucks, having to move apps back and fourth between the SD card and phone when updating.

I suppose, you have a branded carrier phone???

I suggest you root the phone. At least, you willbe able to install something like Apps2sd, which will tell you the app can be moved to SD upon installation.

And just because you have a carrier phone, doesn't mean all parts will be moved to the sd. Maybe only partial.

Root, join the dark side......

CmHall9

Mar 16, 2011
www.facebook.com
I suppose, you have a branded carrier phone???

I suggest you root the phone. At least, you willbe able to install something like Apps2sd, which will tell you the app can be moved to SD upon installation.

And just because you have a carrier phone, doesn't mean all parts will be moved to the sd. Maybe only partial.

Root, join the dark side......
I've seen two different ways to root my Droid X. Downloading files onto my computer then onto the phone and the second is to download an app that will do it all. Which do you recommend?

CmHall9

Mar 16, 2011
www.facebook.com
After doing some research i figured out how to get around the problem.

If you are getting an "Update Unsuccessful" message...
Some apps like "Android System Info" and "Apps2SD" have a feature that let you move apps to the SD card. Sometimes a portion of an App would actually remain on the phone causing the update error. Move the app off the SD card and back onto the phone and try updating again.

If you are getting an "Install Unsuccessful" message...
I'm not sure what causes this error. However if you go into your "settings/SD card & phone storage" and unmount the SD card you should be able to download and install the app that’s giving you trouble. After your done mount your SD card. You may want to also restart your phone.

CmHall9

Mar 16, 2011
www.facebook.com
I finally found someone who has had some experience with my problem. A Verizon rep said that the two virus scanner apps on my Droid X were causing problems with some apps as they tried to install/update. The virus protection apps were also preventing my phone OS from upgrading. After removing "Lookout" and "Watchdog" my droid was able to download and install OS 4.5 and I no longer have any problems installing or upgrading my apps.

The Verizon rep told me virus protection and malware apps are unnecessary. Google is constantly changing the OS in order to stay head of any problems. He says he rarely ever hears of infected phones.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I finally found someone who has had some experience with my problem. A Verizon rep said that the two virus scanner apps on my Droid X were causing problems with some apps as they tried to install/update. The virus protection apps were also preventing my phone OS from upgrading. After removing "Lookout" and "Watchdog" my droid was able to download and install OS 4.5 and I no longer have any problems installing or upgrading my apps.

The Verizon rep told me virus protection and malware apps are unnecessary. Google is constantly changing the OS in order to stay head of any problems. He says he rarely ever hears of infected phones.

He would be correct. If you have any kind of common sense when it comes to computers, your phone will be fine. Make sure to read permission before installing anything. Unless of course you know for a fact what it is. I've been anti anti virus for a long time, telling people they cause more harm then good. They always are running checking everything you do...thus draining your battery for one. Best just to stay away from them. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CmHall9

CmHall9

Mar 16, 2011
www.facebook.com
He would be correct. If you have any kind of common sense when it comes to computers, your phone will be fine. Make sure to read permission before installing anything. Unless of course you know for a fact what it is. I've been anti anti virus for a long time, telling people they cause more harm then good. They always are running checking everything you do...thus draining your battery for one. Best just to stay away from them. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
I'm I correct in saying that the "System Version" is the OS?

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Someone on another forum told me there was no such thing as OS 4.5.

No problem. If you were talking about Android 4.5 then no...of course not. I thought you were referring to the official Gingerbread build for the Droid X, which is 4.5.595. My apologies if there was any confusion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge